01-27-2011 09:27 AM
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!
On the Windows 7 machine you won't be able to reset the password because you can't open the database (password reset is under Tools > Manage Users). If you still have the XP machine available, you can reset the password there and then create a new backup to restore on the Win7 machine.
- check username by opening database on XP and going to Tools > Manage Users
- On Win7 > leave password blank
- On Win7 > check Services to ensure that 'SQL Server (Act7)' is running
To do this:
- Click on Windows Start button > in the Search field enter 'Services.msc'
- On Services screen locate 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column. If it is blank, right click on service and select Start.
01-27-2011 02:03 PM
Always good to check the services and they are running as they should be.
When the database was on the other computer - did it prompt for a password or open immediately?
If it didn't prompt before, you'll want to try multiple combinations of your name as the username and leave the password blank. If you can remember how your name was presented before when Act! opened to your record - that is most likely the username.
What version of Act! are you running?