Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Losing data in Contact Notes field when I save record

Losing data in Contact Notes field when I save record

If I make certain changes to the Contact name and hit save it will erase all the characters in the Contact Notes field.  I looked at the fields in the Define Fields area and there's no links set up.  Anyone have a clue why this is happing?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Losing data in Contact Notes field when I save record

Contact Notes field....?

Are you referring to an actually field by that name or to the records that are shown in the Contact's Notes tab?

I don't think there is a standard field called Contact Notes...

Sorry, I have created a Contact Notes character field - it's custom.  But it is the only one that loses data when I adjust someones name.  When a new contact is created it places the first name in that field.  Here's an example:  I create a new contact "John Doe" and hit save.  "John" is put in the Contact Notes field.  If I change the Contact Notes field to "He is shy" and hit save all is good.  But if I go to add say a middle name to the Contact Name, "John So Doe", and hit save.  The "He is shy" disappears and "John" is back in its place. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

You're using the salutation field for the notes. The salutationn field is a core field in the ACT! program and can't be used for other purposes. As the salutation field it's working as designed

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy - Thanks for the help.  I must of changed the name of the field in my redesign.  They don't talk about "core" fields that much do they?  I created a new field and then did a mass field to field copy.  Problems solved - a thorn removed from my hand, and I'm not calling you a mouse.  I saved your web site and name, if I ever need any ACT consulting you're my first call.  Have a great day...Carl

Bronze Super Contributor

Carl -

As an FYI, you can discern if a field is a "core"/default field that was renamed or if it is actually a custome field by looking at the properties for the field in the Define Fields manager.

While you are in the Define Fields dialog, when you highlight a field in the list, you will note that in the info bar on the left, there is a section titled "Details".  It will reflect "Custom Field" or "System Field".

So, if you are ever in question, go there!

Thank you - I never noticed that before, It will be useful.  A short pencil is better than a long memory.

Bronze Super Contributor

Carl@LBS wrote:

A short pencil is better than a long memory.

I like it!