Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup sorted by Activity Date

Copper Contributor

Lookup sorted by Activity Date

I have been an ACT user almost from the very beginning when the software was first introduced.  I love the way it organizes my day.  I just switched to ACT 2010.  In my mind there is a fundamental function that could be accomplished in previous versions of ACT, but seems to be missing here.  It has me somewhat flustered because I see no way to work with this new version.  Here is the problem. In ACT 6.0, and in previous versions of ACT one could easily create a task list sorted by activity date, then create a lookup sorted on the same activity date basis as the task list.  I see no way to create this same lookup in the new version, which in my mind is such an elementary function that one needs in order to work effectively with this software.   Does anyone know of a work around, or can shed any light on why this feature is missing?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Lookup sorted by Activity Date

One reason it's missing is that it never was a documented or intended feature of ACT! 3-6. I was in ACT! technical support for 11 years and supported every version of ACT! from the DOS versions and all Windows versions through ACT! 6 and I never knew it existed until someone complained that it was missing in ACT! 2005 and later. It was a fluke and even though it can be useful, it wasn't purposefully left out. My sugggestion is that you make a feature request for consideration for a future upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy, I find your comments to be very interesting. To be quite candid, I am having a hard time understanding how anyone could use a datebase management system without this capability?  If you search out on the web, you will find others that have this same concern about the New 2010 version. I have found one crude work around, not sure I want to use it yet.  I may just have to wait to see if this capability is added on in a later version.

As you suggested, how would I make a feature request. If it is on line, can you tell me where to go?  Thanks again Roy for your help!

You can use the share your ideas tab.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy, I have been testing ACT 2010 for several days now. I guess the problem I am having is trying to understand how to make the software work without this feature.  I work with groups of 50-100 people at a time.  I am on the phone constantly; I spend most of my time in two places, the notes field and the activities field.  When I am finished with a client, I schedule the next call or thing to do for that individual.  My biggest concern is that with your older versions no one ever fell through the cracks.  What I mean by this is that if I forgot to call someone, when I did my lookup for the next day (based on an activity sort of the task list; usually current date and back a month), I could easily scroll back and see people I may have missed from the previous day or perhaps several days.  In this way, I never lost anyone. How does one accomplish this same thing with ACT 2010?   

Hello mezweig,

There are few things you can do to make sure you do not miss any calls, to-dos, etc:

1. Make sure you clear an activity when you complete it...this is how you tell ACT! that the activity has been done.

2. On the activity list and calendar, under Options in the right-hand corner, uncheck the option to "Show Cleared". This will display only uncleared (not completed) activities

3. Make sure date filter is set to All...so you will see all activities regardless of date

4. Under Tools/Preferences/Calendars & Scheduling/Scheduling Preferences, you can select the option "Automatically roll over to today", which will roll over any activities from the previous day that were not cleared. You will have to choose this preference for each activity type by highlighting it at the top of the Scheduling Preferences screen

Hope these help.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Unfortunately, I had to return my ACT 2010 about a week or so ago for the reasons sited in this thread. I am hopeful that perhaps this feature will return some day.  I now have a new dilemma.  Ever since the uninstall, my computer has been acting a little weird. I just realized yesterday that part of ACT did not uninstall, that being what I believe is called the SQL server, and whenever I shut the server down using the Run: net stop mssql$act7 command, my problems seem to disappear. How do I figure out which SQL server is the one that came with this version of ACT?  I see there are several versions of this software, some of which may be used by my other programs, I do not know which for am I not an expert in this area. However, I see the following programs now listed in my control panel under programs that can be uninstalled.  They are:SQL Server 2005SQL Server Setup Support FilesSQL Server Native ClientSQL Server VVS Writer Can someone please tell me which version(s) act installed so I can remove it or them if there are multiple versions. Thanks!

You will need to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2005. If there is more than one program using SQL Server, then when you uninstall you will get a choice of which instance to remove. You will choose to remove the ACT7 instance. If there are other programs using SQL, then you will need to leave the rest of the SQL apps. If there are not, then uninstall MSXML 6.0 Parser all other programs starting with "Microsoft SQL Server" as well. After you uninstall, a reboot of your computer would be advised.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.