Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup problem using underscore symbol - Sage ACT! Pro 2012

Lookup problem using underscore symbol - Sage ACT! Pro 2012

Hello,

When I do a lookup on E-mail Address using

starts with = a_

a list of ALL contacts starting with “a” is listed. Not just the four contacts I was after that matched the criteria.

I then performed Database Maintenance>Check & Repair>Integrity Check & Re-Index and reran the query with with the same result.

What is happening?

Thank you for a quick answer!

Employee

Re: Lookup problem using underscore symbol - Sage ACT! Pro 2012

What is happening here is that in SQL the underscore character is used as a wildcard , so logically what the lookup is saying is "return all the email addresses that start with a and any other character".  Apologies if this has been an inconvenience.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thanks. So what happens when I do an import for an email address which includes an underscore?

Employee

It shouldn't impact anything at all other than trying to do a lookup and the only other character that would exhibit this behavior would be the percent symbol.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Employee

[ Edited ]

Turns out that the escape sequence for this character works in lookups just as it does in SQL, we have to surround the underscore in brackets so that the query will use the character it is, rather than the wildcard it's being interpreted as.

a[_]    --> If you do a "starts with" lookup this will find all email addresses that begin with a_

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator