Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup contact by opportunity grand totals

Tuned Listener

Lookup contact by opportunity grand totals

Hi,  I recent got ACT 2010 (a great upgrade so far over my old ACT 6.0). I am tracking sales of contacts as 1 step opportunities. I can do lookups by almost all parameters I need to except for being able to lookup contacts by "grand total" based on their closed opportunities (which is to say their sales totals from each transaction they have had with us over time).

I know this "grand total" exists because when I scroll through my contacts in detail view with the opportunity tab up, it lists total transaction and a "grand total" right in the gray bar at the bottom of the ACT window. So its calculating it somehow, but is there no way to have this total assigned to a field in contacts so I can lookup using it? Or at this point if I could just generate a list of contacts based on that grand total in a report or something that would be something at least. Maybe am add-on that does this is offered somewhere?

The point of this exercise was I was wanting to search for what contaxts had spent aboce a specific dollar amount in a year and then generate an excel sheet from it to be used for email or direct mail campaigns.

Hope someone can give me a heads up as it would be greatly appreciated to have any insight or suggestions anyone has to offer. Thansk again Smiley Surprised)

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Lookup contact by opportunity grand totals

You can do a Lookup on the Total field while on the Opportunity screens.  Click on the Opportunities button in the left hand column > then select the Lookup menu and choose Total.  With the results of this Lookup (a list of Opportunities), highlight all of the Opportunities in the list (hold down CTRL and select the top and bottom items) then right click and select 'Create Lookup'.  This will take you to the Contact List view and only display those contacts attached to the Opportunities that were highlighted.  Using the Contact List view you can then email or run reports (using Current Lookup option) or click on the 'Export to Excel' icon to create and Excel spreadsheet.

Hope that helps get you what you need or gives ideas of other options available.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the quick reply! This forum is awesome! Unfortunately thats not really what I am looking for. That solution works great as far as finding totals for individual transactions, but I am looking for a way to lookup the total dollar total of all the closed transactions for any given contact. 

(i.e. Customer A has 3 closed Opportunities/Sales

Opportunity/Sale 1 - $100

Opportunity/Sale 2 - $50

Opportunity/Sale 3 - $250

Grand Total: $400  <-- This is the number I am looking to lookup contacts by and also the number that lists already in the bottom of the ACT 2010 window as "Grand Total" when I am in the opportunities tab.  I see the program calculating it already, I just cant figure out how to get this in a custom field or a sum field or a report. Is this possible with the solution above? I tried it and that just gave me a list contacts based on my opportunity totals, but no actual totals next to the contacts or a way to add that to the listed columns...???

Tuned Listener

Anyone poking around here today want to take another shot at this? I have been at it for the last day still...looking and trying addons that might solve this issue and havent had a lot of luck...I have basically given up on the idea of being able to do a simple lookup based on this or finding a way to get that "grand total" for the contact into any usable field in the contact layout. I did find a report built into ACT that has the "grand total" I am looking for so I will probably look into tweaking that but then I fear that I will make life way more hard by not being able to export this to a simple excel spreadsheet...seems like a waste to dump it a PDF or paper or whatever...I did have a couple other questions maybe someone can answer...

1. Is it possible to create a new field that pulls its content from a calculation like a report does? Or move a report field calculation somewhere into a newly defined field? or is this a totally impossible?

2. Is there really no one that has heard of wanting to do a sales report in ACT based on their top customers? (either with or without a time period filter) It would seem to me that this would be a very common lookup that people would need

3. Are there plugins that can export reports to excel?

4. Does anyone know a good resource or primer to learn about how to create your reports? or what the scripting language is based on? I've picked up a bunch from looking at existing demo reports but there has to be some more comprehensive resource maybe?

Thanks a ton for anyone who can toss me a bone! I have learned so much from this community and reading past posts in the last few days on the ACT system as a whole...I really do like this platform a ton..just need a little more help massaging it to meet some needs... Smiley Happy