Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Lookup Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Posts: 139
Country: United States
Accepted Solution

Lookup Problem

[ Edited ]

This is driving me crazy. I've been messing with this in ACT! 2009 and couldn't figure it out, and am now having the same problem after upgrading to ACT! 2010 which I did today.

 

I created a Lookup with a Create Date after a certain date. So far, so good.

 

Then, out of those records, I want to narrow the Lookup using a user defined field which does NOT contain a certain term, let's say "text." So I then go to narrow the Lookup using "User Field" "does not contain" "text." The result I get leaves out several records that should be included. However, if I go "User Field" "contains" "text," the query works correctly and includes all the correct records for that query, but I can't get the query to work for excluding those records. For the life of me, I can't figure out why and staring at it more isn't making it work.

 

I've tried this using both the "Narrow Query" and "Advanced Query" functions, but get the same exact results.

 

Can someone please help? Thanks.

Message Edited by MadDog on 09-02-2009 08:25 PM
Message Edited by MadDog on 09-02-2009 08:26 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor
Posts: 139
Country: United States

Re: Lookup Problem

OK. I did this. It took a while but it was totally worth it.

 

Turns out that when I wanted to narrow the Lookup using my user defined field which does NOT contain a certain term, that "does not contain" will not select a totally blank field, which was exactly what was happening and what the problem was. I was assuming that the "does not contain" would also select records with that field blank, which it won't. Problem now solved.

View solution in original post


All Replies
Moderator
Posts: 4,395
Country: USA

Re: Lookup Problem

I attempted to reproduce with the scenario provided and its looking up the correct contacts.  I suggest giving a call into support to have them look at the database and criteria/operators used to do the lookups.

Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor
Posts: 139
Country: United States

Re: Lookup Problem

OK. I did this. It took a while but it was totally worth it.

 

Turns out that when I wanted to narrow the Lookup using my user defined field which does NOT contain a certain term, that "does not contain" will not select a totally blank field, which was exactly what was happening and what the problem was. I was assuming that the "does not contain" would also select records with that field blank, which it won't. Problem now solved.