Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup Preferences

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Lookup Preferences

Are you sure there is no way to specify the default for the Look up field?  It defaults to "starts with."  Like most people, we go by last names, so it is confusing to look by starts with.  Is there a way to change this on preferences?  It seems everything else can be modified.  Thank you, Curtis

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Lookup Preferences

Correct. But as you use the '%' character more regularly you find that a default isn't the best option. It is just a matter of making best use of wild cards. Less is more...;-) 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

You can use a place holder or wild card in the Lookup. In your case, yes  Lookup defaults to 'Starts with' but you can use the % character to expand your options. For example. You are looking for 'Robert Lycomb'. Right click on the Contact field and choose Lookup Contact in the menu. The Lookup Contacts box opens with 'Starts with" as the default operator. Enter '% Lyc' and you will pull up all the contacts with surname (and middle name) starting with 'lyc'.    

Graeme Leo

Copper Super Contributor

I see, so do I need to do this each time?  It is not a permanent change in preference?  Curtis

Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Correct. But as you use the '%' character more regularly you find that a default isn't the best option. It is just a matter of making best use of wild cards. Less is more...;-) 

Graeme Leo

Copper Super Contributor

Or just put a Lookup Last Name icon in tool bar.  Under Tools, Customize, select the Toolbars tab, put a check mark on Contact Details Toolbar, then click on the Commands tab, select the category of Lookup , scroll down to Last Name and drg & drop this on the toolbar in ACT!.  Now one click on this icon get you to a Lookup Last Name dialogue box.
Copper Super Contributor

Very cool, thanks, the % sign is a big improvement, but this sounds terrific. I'll try it!  Curtis
Copper Super Contributor

Brian, I did this, it worked, and it was exactly what I was looking for!  The "starts with" in the look up field default was driving me crazy and making me lose confidence in the design of the program.  This is a great fix and a perfect solution.  It also fills (almost) my idea that there should be a look up field in the right hand corner.  (The valuable real estate there is not being used and it would seem like such an obvious thing.  It works for Google and every other search engine type program I have every worked seen.)

Thanks!!!  I also appreciate the very clear directions you gave.  Curtis

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Curtis, I'm very please I was able to help.  In fact, that was the very first post I have ever left on a message board. I'm no techie but I used the Lookup Last Name icon in my earlier version of ACT so I was pretty sure it could be done on for the version I just purchased (ACT 11).  You can add other icons the same way.  I have an icon for Lookup Company and Lookup Previous (very handy).  Well, you've made my day.  Thanks, --Brian
Copper Super Contributor

Just curious, what do think, as we obviously keyed on the same issue.  What if a look up bar were in the spot where we are putting the "Last name?"  I believe that would reduce by one step the number of steps necessary to get a look up completed.  We could just type in a contacts last name and hit enter and it would be done.  I keep thinking this. Curtis
Copper Super Contributor

You know, I like your idea.  A Lookup Last Name search box right in the tool bar.  I'd use it but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to build that into ACT. At least the icon is only one extra click...