Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup Contacts based on Company Fields

Lookup Contacts based on Company Fields

Hello everyone.  I need to print contact labels/directories for all contacts where certain company criteria are true.  For example, I have a company field called "Minority Owned".  I want to print labels for all contacts associated with companies where "Minority Owned" = TRUE.

I have dabled a bit this evening, but couldn't figure it out.  Will someone point me in the right direction?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Lookup Contacts based on Company Fields

Hi,

That´s easy.

Go to "Company = Minority Owne".

Right mouse click and "Create a lookup".

Mail merge.

I hope this helps.

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE

Thanks for your response.  When you say "Go to Company = Minority Owned", how exactly do you mean?  Could you provide more detail there, Please?

Sincerely

Platinum Elite Contributor

If I understand how your database is organized, there isn't any easy way to accomplish what you want. I'm assuming that the Minority Owned field is in the company table, not the contact table. If so it would be easy to lookup all the companies that were minority owned but that would not give you a lookup of the contacts associated with those companies. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to get from the companies in the company table to a lookup of the contacts associated with those companies. While there address fields in the company table, you would need an addon to print labels from the address fields in the company table.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi. Thank you for your response.  I am new to ACT!, but this seems to be a terrible inefficiency of the program.  Writing queries to pull data from related tables is one of the cornerstones of a relational database.  This is very basic functionality, in my opinion.  However, I am comitted to making the program work for us, so I will phrase my question in a productive manner.

Would it be fair to say that in ACT!, every piece of demographic/marketing specific data should be put in the contacts table?  Especially if you want to use ACT! as a basis for printing marketing lists, etc.

It seems like I read somewhere that I could link fields from the company table to the contacts table.  Is this true?  For example, could I create the fields that I want for companies such as "Minority Owned" and "Account Size" and then create the exact fields for contacts and then link them together?  Then when I change "Minority Owned" to True on the company record, all of the contacts associated with that company have the "Minority Owned" field updated to True as well?

We are just setting up our database which is why we are asking these questions now!

Your help is appreciated.

Linked Contacts

OK, so I figured out that you could definitely link fields from contacts to company fields.  It appears that the linking is one - way, meaning that I can change the field "Minority Owned" in the company record and then, when I either save, or try to navigate away from the company record, I am asked if I want to update the linked fields to the contacts.

One problem with this is that the fields at the contact level are then editable.  My concern is that someone viewing the contact records could change the data and then we are out of sync with the company record.  So I tried making the fields on the company level "read only".   On the surface this seemed to work.  Problem is though, as long as the fields are read only, they will not update.

Is there a way to make a linked field on the contact record be read only and still update to the company value that it is linked to?