Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Looking for direction on how to use opportunities with onsite computer repair business

Looking for direction on how to use opportunities with onsite computer repair business

I have a onsite computer repair company that currently employs 3 technicians. I do local advertising on shopping carts, fliers for free report on website and monthly newsletter. Virtually all marketing is designed to drive traffic to our website where we capture their information and then educate the potential client on how to best choose someone to repair their computer as well as how they benefit by using us etc.

I just purchased ACT Standard in the hopes that I can start some marketing campaigns that I can keep track of who gets sent what but I am struggling with how best to setup ACT for my type of business using sales cycles and opportunities. We sell the obvious services; virus cleanup, fix windows errors, software errors, setup home networks etc.

I have been looking for a book or guide on how to use ACT after the initial setup, I purchased ACT for dummies and it provided all the information I needed to get up and running including creating custom fields etc, but not best practices or examples on how I could use ACT to the fullest in my type of business or any business for that matter.

Any direction or good resources for how to customize ACT and how best to use it is appreciated. If I could just see some examples/tutorials on how a service based business uses opportunities and sales cycles for lower cost services that would be very helpful.

Thank you for any help and advice

Luke

Bronze Contributor

Re: Looking for direction on how to use opportunities with onsite computer repair business

Welcome to the community luked.

You mentioned traking marketing campaigns.  While I don't use it, there is a tab in 2010 called "Marketing Results" which is from Swiftpage.  You can test it, but then there is a sign up charge.  Can't help on the fees.  This will help evaluate whether a campaign works or not.

I use opportunities for just that.  An identified sales opportunity that has a beginning and end with many steps in the middle.  I have also modified opportunities to include SWOT (http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS366US367&q=swot&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=rQLrS_HFNc...), people involved, special pricing, etc.  It also has a good (not great) quote program.  (It doesn't generate any form of a quote number). 

However, it seems like you want to spend time looking at how to use groups vs. "companies".  Act used the term "companies" for showing relationships with people associated with the companies.  It can be confusing since you enter Company Name in each of the contacts.  In other programs it is called org chart.  Regardless, that is where you can keep up with people and associates that work with your customers. 

I am just a user, but there are a number of really good consultants who frequent this board.  Maybe it would be helpful if you had a specific objective instead of looking for best practices in general.  Also, spend some time on the board.  A lot of hard questions have been answered and there are some good "best practices" scattered throughout.

Hope that helps a little.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Looking for direction on how to use opportunities with onsite computer repair business

You might try the demo of TopLine Results Designer.  Install it and run it on the demo database that comes with Act!.  It offers quite a few templates.  Looking at these might give you some ideas about how and what you want to track for your business.