Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Logon process takes forever.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Logon process takes forever.

Hello,

I have an issue were a user tries to login to a database and it takes up to 20 min.  The PC is on a network.  The database is located on a server.

Now if the same user logs in to the PC using the admin account (or logs into a different PC) and then tries to login to the database, he gets in right away.

We are using ACT! 2012 Premium Edition.

Please let me know if this makes sense, or if you need additional info.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JParra72
‎01-13-2017 10:48 AM

Re: Logon process takes forever.

Ok,  I was hesitant to delete the user login profile for the PC. So, I did not do that.

I am positive is not a firewall/antivirus issue because we can login to the PC using different user login profile and the access the ACT database.

I was able to resolve this by doing the following:

1. I logged into the PC using an administrator user profile.
  2. I was able to log in to the ACT database using the username and password (this is the same user that was having trouble) with no issue.
  3. I set up all the preferences under the tools menu. Then logged out of the database and closed ACT.
  4. I browsed to the C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Roaming\ACT and copied the ACT folder.
  5. Then I browsed to the C:\Users\CWood\AppData\Roaming (CWood is the user with the issue) and deleted the ACT folder.
  6. Then I pasted the ACT folder I copied in step 4 into C:\Users\CWood\AppData\Roaming
  7. I logged off as the the administrator account and the logged in as CWood then logged into the ACT database with no issue at all.

I have not clue why this user started having this issue on this computer.

I am not sure that this is a permanent fix, but it has resolved the issue for the time being.

Thank you everyone for your input

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

If linked to Outlook I would remove the Outlook link and also the ACT Address book from Outlook to see if this allows quick connection to see if this is the area casing the problem.

Employee

Good morning,

Please ensure that all exceptions are added to the Windows Firewall / Antivirus as per http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125 while logged into Windows as the affected user.  Pay particular attention to the section marked 

Click to Expand/Collapse this section Click here for instructions to determine the dynamically assigned ACTDIAG SQL Server port

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

I ruled that out as when they use the ACT admin account it logs on without the delay. Wouldn't the firewall be the same no matter what ACT user was logged on to ACT as the firewall is determined by the Windows user profile?

Employee

Ah,

I understood from your post that you meant when the user was signed in as a different Windows user - 'if the same user logs in to the PC using the admin account' - they had no issue logging in

Bronze Elite Contributor

Ah Ha

Yep, looking again it is not clear if they are meaning the ACT or Windows admin account!

Maybe they could clarify.

Hello,

The user's login name is domainname/CWood.   If the user logs in to his PC as domainname/Administrator, then logs in as himself  to an ACT database he is able to get in right away.

If the user logs in to his PC as domainname/CWood (himself) and then tries to log in to the ACT database the issue occurs.

If the user logs in to a different PC as domainname/CWood (himself) and then logs in as himself  to an ACT database he is able to get in right away.

I do not think it is an antivirus or firewall issue.

Please let me know if this clears up things.

Thank you!

Employee

Thanks for the clarification.

This could still be related to the firewall/antivirus, it's worth checking that all exceptions are added under that Windows user profile. It could also (and is more likely to) point to a damaged Windows profile, in which case you could either try repairing it or create a new profile to test.  

Thanks

Solution
Accepted by topic author JParra72
‎01-13-2017 10:48 AM

Ok,  I was hesitant to delete the user login profile for the PC. So, I did not do that.

I am positive is not a firewall/antivirus issue because we can login to the PC using different user login profile and the access the ACT database.

I was able to resolve this by doing the following:

1. I logged into the PC using an administrator user profile.
  2. I was able to log in to the ACT database using the username and password (this is the same user that was having trouble) with no issue.
  3. I set up all the preferences under the tools menu. Then logged out of the database and closed ACT.
  4. I browsed to the C:\Users\administrator\AppData\Roaming\ACT and copied the ACT folder.
  5. Then I browsed to the C:\Users\CWood\AppData\Roaming (CWood is the user with the issue) and deleted the ACT folder.
  6. Then I pasted the ACT folder I copied in step 4 into C:\Users\CWood\AppData\Roaming
  7. I logged off as the the administrator account and the logged in as CWood then logged into the ACT database with no issue at all.

I have not clue why this user started having this issue on this computer.

I am not sure that this is a permanent fix, but it has resolved the issue for the time being.

Thank you everyone for your input