Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Local and Remote Databases out of sync

Local and Remote Databases out of sync

We have two PCs using SAGE Act 2011. One PC is a desktop and holds the database, the second PC is a laptop and holds a copy of the database, and normally syncs updates to the desktop.

The laptop had not sync'd for 62 days when the desktop hard drive crashed. The laptop has continued to be shared by both users. Some weeks have past the desktop has been recovered to the point at which it crashed.

The desktop had 62 days of updates and attachments added that the laptop does not have. There have been no subsequent updates made or attachments added to the desktop since the crash. It is currently being used in database view mode.

The the laptop has had updates made to its version of the database, and may have had attachments added. But there are 62 days of updates missing from it's database.

My first question is whether there is a way to list all the updates made by date to the laptop since it's last sync. Then do the same with the desktop. Comparing these two files should show all updates to the laptop for reference.

Second question, is there a way to merge the two databases?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Local and Remote Databases out of sync

Hello Niknik01,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You didn't mention if you have attempted to synchronize the remote since the desktop was fixed; if you have attempted, what is the error?

If the database on the desktop is intact and still contains the remote database information, it may be that you can update the sync information in the remote to point to the updated desktop location.  Have a look at this article for instructions: KB Article 19817

There isn't a way to list the individual updates applied to a database, but you can perform a Lookup > Contact Activity > since date, to get a list of all contacts updated in the timeframe.  You can import database to database through the File > Import option.  I would look at enabling the sync as described above first...

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response.

There has been no attempt to sync the local and remote databases. When either of the databases are opened/access there is a message that starts 'Index -1.... tempdb' displayed. I have searched not found what this might mean. This message has been occuring before the crash and on both machines.

Does the 'look up' function list views of a database record, or does a real update have to be made (edit field/add attachment)?

Is there access through SQL to get the underlying DB? I see there are SQL actions/stats in ACTDIAG

I would definitely attempt to sync before importing...

If the 'Index -1...' error is displayed shortly after opening the database and doesn't return after clicking OK, it is indicative of the database having been upgraded from a earlier version of ACT! (V6). The error doesn't have any negative affect on the databases.

Contact activity will only display contacts that have actual updates (not views).

There are options for accessing/pulling information from the database (such as the ACT!Reader (Premium version only)), I'll let members comment on which method may be the best for your scenario.
Greg Martin
Sage

Ok, we will try the import after gathering the contact activity as an audit trail.

How do we make the Index -1 message go away? This version of ACT was either upgraded or had a previous version restored into a fresh ACT install. but I am not quite sure. This verison of ACT is at Hot Fix 5.

There are old ACT DBs all over the place on the both the machines. Some clean up is definitely needed.

thanks

Unfortunately, there isn't a fix for the 'Index -1' error for 2011. It was resolved in 2012, but probably isn't worth the cost to upgrade simply to get rid of the message...
Greg Martin
Sage
Silver Super Contributor

I would create a new database from one of the databases doing a "Save Copy As".  Once you have done that I would export both databases into the copy.  You will need to export the users from the database into the new database before you export the rest of the records.  You might want to work with an ACT! Certified Consultant on this.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!