Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

List of Methods to restrict user access to records.

List of Methods to restrict user access to records.

I have 13,000 records in my database.  I need a remote user to have access to only 2,000 of these records.  The remaining records I want to keep private so the remote user does not see them in any way.

I’m running Act ver. 11 2009.  This database was automatically upgraded by the program from the previous Act 6 version I was using.

After reading through the forums and the manual for the program, I’m still not clear what the methods of accomplishing this are.

These are the methods I understand either pretty well or am ‘just thinking will work’ for what I need to do:

1.      Make the user a Restricted User.

a.       But how does this limit the user’s access to records?

2.      Create a second copy of the database on the remote user’s computer and then only synchronizing the records I want to this user to work with.

a.       I’m not sure how this is setup exactly but I think I read it someplace.

b.      I do not want to do this because it will require I install the program on the remote computer.

3.      Globally set all of the records in the database to “Private” and then query my 2,000 records that I want the remote user to work with.  After which, I copy this list to a Group.  And that Group is set to “Public.”

a.       This seems like the best method to do what I need.  Do you agree that this will work and is the best method?

b.      Problem is, when I attempt to Globally change all the records to Private by tagging them in List View and choosing Edit Contact Access/Make Private, I suddenly can only see 5,600 records in my database when I know there are 13,000.  What is up with this?  Why can I only see 5,600 records?

4.      I read someplace that I might be able to create a “team” or “sub category” that I can then set record access for the remote user to just this ‘team or sub category’.  Is this something that can be done in Act 11?

5.      Are there any other methods?

Please help!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: List of Methods to restrict user access to records.

If you are using the standard version of ACT! there isn't and real way to do what you want except to make the records private but they will be private to the record manager only. What you want to do can be done with the premium version of ACT! using limited access.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am using ACT ver.11 2009 Premium.  Not Standard.

And I dont see any clear way of using 'limited access' in this version such that I can seperate a few thousand records and the remote person only sees these records. 

The idea that I make all the records "Private' except those I query and link to a "Public Group" idea - I created this approach out of the air. Do you think this will work?

Do you have any idea why I have 13,000 records and after I Tag the entire database and make it Private, I suddenly only have 5,000 records? 

Is the remote user using a remote database?  If they are, you can edit the sync set to only include certain types of contacts.  For example, if you only want the remote user to see contacts that live in New York, you can edit the sync set to only match contacts that live in NY.

If they're accessing a shared database, then you will need to use limited access.

The missing contacts are assigned to another user in the database.  Login at the other user and remove the contacts as private.

How to Manage Sync Sets in ACT!

How To Set Access Controls for Users in ACT! by Sage Premium

Security Levels in ACT!

Does this work if all of your other users need to see ALL RECORDS? I only have one user who will be restricted to only seeing a certain type of accounts... all other users (no matter the record manager) needs to be able to access all my company and contact records.

-Kayla

Platinum Elite Contributor

Using limited access (requires ACT! premium) can be set so some users see all contacts while others only see a limited number of the contacts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129