Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking contact to companies

Linking contact to companies

I have just acquired Act2009 and imported a purchased list of companies. Then I imported the contacts for each company and now have a database with several thousand contacts and companies. Each contact record has the company to which the contact belongs, but the contact is not indicated as being linked to the company with a hyperlink. I know I can go through each contact individually and link them to the company, but this would take months. Is there a way to do this automatically with a query or some other method?

Appreciate any help on this one.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Linking contact to companies

Thanks Mike,

It seems to me that this is such a basic type of functionality that Sage is remiss in not providing it. The more I read about Act, the more I am forming the opinion that a lot of functionality is intentionally left out so that add-ons have to be purchased.

Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't think that's the reason... Sage don't profit from them. It's more like, with so many things people want it priorities by how many users they think will benefit.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Bronze Contributor

Hi Doug,

I have the highest respect for Mike Lazarus as he has solved a ton of questions for me.  I'm wondering, though if the correct assumption(s) were made.

It sounds like you have contact records that has a contact name along with the company in each record, but not linked.

If that is the case, you won't be able to automatically link contacts to companies since a special type of record has to be created for the company before it is linked.  Here's what I've been doing the past week as I'm getting used to the benefits of linked companies.

1.  Look up a company name.  I'm assuming that there is more than one record per company. 

2.  Select one of the records and click on Companies in the tool bar and then select "create company".  That's when the special record is created.

3.  Do a company lookup again for the same company name.  Again, you should get a list of all the records with that company name.

4.  Select all the records

5.  Click on companies in the tool bar and then click on "Link to Company".  Here you will select the special company record you just created.

On the other hand, if you have records of people with no company name in the company field, then this will not work, unless you have a way of grouping the records. 

I hope this helps and good luck using ACT.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013