Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking Supporting Fields for Calculated Fields

Linking Supporting Fields for Calculated Fields

I am looking for an answer on linking supprtive fields for calculated fields.  Can this be done? 

It is clearly something that you would want to do.  I have our sales team profile customers\prospects in the company section where I added a custom tab with custom fields for data we want to capture.  This tab is completely mirrored in the contact section.  This data should be entered once for each company and all contacts.

I initially had these fields as part of the calculations and learned you cannot even change the field name if they are part of a calculated field calculation (I really dislike this by the way).  So as you need to do, I deleted the calculated fields then went and linked the supportive fields and was going to then add the calcaulated fields back.  ACT did let me then link them but the data does not transfer.  I have not yet tried creating the calculated fields to see if the links would still work because they don't now.

Re: Linking Supporting Fields for Calculated Fields

First off - YES I do know I am talking to myself.  Just adding this in case anyone else was looking into this.

After working through this with support I did find out there is a known linking issue in general that you can find in the knowledge base section with a fix that needs to be applied to each actual databse you use. 

In regards to my specific issue with linking the supportive fields - there is no issue.  It was the general issue with the new fields linking.  You can link the supporting fields (do this before creating the calculated field or you will have to go back and delete the calculated fields before linking and then having to recreate the calculated fields) and then create a calculated field in the Contact and the Company sections for totals.