Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking Sage 50 to ACT........... Help??!!!

Copper Contributor

Linking Sage 50 to ACT........... Help??!!!

Hi All,

At the moment one of my customers needs the Sage link installing so that they can link their Sage Accounts software to their ACT system. I have installed the Sage 50 link ( Note:They have Sage 50 Accounts 2013) & I have setup the link on their ACT System ( Note: They have ACT Premium Version 17.2)

I have followed all the instructions on this link:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29774/kw/act%20link%20sage/related/1

My problem is whenever I try and sync the data between the two programs. I get the below screenshot.

The sdata sync progress just hangs like the below and it never syncs the data, I can’t understand why?

ACT SYNC.jpg

About 4 months ago I installed the link for them and somehow managed to get it working, I am not sure how I did it. I want 

to know if anyone has come across this issue before and how I can fix it? My customer is having a new server installed which means the Sage link needs to be re-installed. I need to be able to find a solution to the above error, urgently. 

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Re: Linking Sage 50 to ACT........... Help??!!!

[ Edited ]

Hi Rachel,

Make sure that the Sdata service has been added to the users Firewall and Anti-Virus exceptions list. You can encounter performance issues if the service has not been added to the exceptions list.

Also, if you run "Check Data" in Sage50 accounts, are there any errors? Errors in the Sage50 data can cause the accounts link to crash.

Another cause is a very large set of Sage50 data.

How many records (customers\suppliers) are held in Sage50 accounts?

How many splits are held in Sage50 accounts?

(You can find the answer to both of these questions by going to Help - About within Sage50)

Feel free to get back in touch if none of these suggestions help.

Regards

Peter

Copper Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thankyou so much for your reply. 

The Sdata service has been added to the users Firewall list aswell as the Anti-virus. 

When running check data with Sage there are no errors!

When using the link there are 892 records in total ( which isnt alot?), Splits are 30,794.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post after maybe an hour of making a change to an address within one record in sage. It shows

the below screenshot:

Sync.PNG

So it does sync the data just takes forevever.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for that information Rachel.

The next thing to check is in Sage50 accounts. If you open the relevant database and go to Tools - Internet Options - Sdata Settings - Advanced. In here there is a Windows Firewall button. Can you click this please? This basically makes sure that the Sage50 knows that the service has been added. Sometimes if you add the service manually, Sage still thinks it hasn't been added until this option is clicked.

If the option is greyed out or clicking this makes no difference I would suggest restarting the Sdata service. This can be done from the same screen we where you clicked the Firewall button. Simply click Restart, however I would highly recommended making sure everyone is logged out of Act and probably Sage50 as well as a precaution.

Peter

Copper Contributor

Hi Peter,

I had a quick look at the sdata and mine was greyed out, so I restarted like you said and made a change to one of the record in sage and click on the update accounting data button, but it still hanging? 

I even tried closing and re-opening ACT but no change, any other ideas?

Thanks

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

It sounds like there may be issues with the existing link. One of the more common solutions is to run the Database Maintenance in Act and possibly a Reindex & Compress in Sage50 accounts.

Make sure both databases are backed up before proceeding with this and it may be worth checking with Sage50 support to make sure there will be no side effects of running this (I have seen some warnings in Sage50 get worse and become errors when a reindex and compress is run).

Another option would be test the link using a different Act database. Create the database via "Save copy as" and create an empty copy of the current Act DB. Link it to the same Sage50 database and see if that works any better. If so, it may be worth merging the current Act database with the new one and using that instead. 

Peter

Copper Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply I have already done the compress and reindex, this made all my sage data worse than it was before and the link with act still took an hour. So i dont think this is the answer.

As for the second option I sure I did this before with ACT and it did not solve the problem, however I will try save the database as a copy as and relink it with Sage. I will let you know the outcome?

Apart from the above is there anything else I can try? I when I called act support he talked me through relinking records?

I can remember exactly...

What is your opinion on the Sage link? Is it stable. At the moment I wouldnt say so. It's just one of my customers wants to go live and use it within a week and i'm not sure its a good idea?

Thanks again for your replies. 

Apart from trying it in another database there is nothing else I can suggest. Are both the databases held on the same pc? You could always try moving them to a different location as there may be a problem with the Sdata service on the pc.

The Accounts link is usually stable but in higher versions of Sage50 this is not the case. Sage50 2015 has various problems when it comes to the accounts link and Sage are not fixing these. As it stands, there are no plans to enhance the existing accounts link as we are working with 3rd party companies to develop an external version of the accounts link which will act as a middle-man between the 2 programs.

One such example of this is a program called "Alphalink" which is made by Alphalogix. I believe there may be others but I can't say for certain.

Peter

Copper Contributor

Ok yes I will give that a try. 

I appreciate your opinion, i am using 2013 so I hoped it wouldnt cause me a problem as 2015 may do. 

Thanks again for all your help.

I will just have to try and get to the bottom of it because my customer is determined to install the link and it is suppose to work with 2013. So I shall have another look.

If you can think of anything else in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks 

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to locate the link for ACT! 2013 to SAGE 2013. My computer crashed again (3rd time in just over 3 yrs) and I can't locate the file. Any Suggestions on where I can get the file? Thank you.

Roberta