Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking ACT tables in Crystal Reports 2008

Accepted Solution Solved
Master Commentator
Accepted Solution

Linking ACT tables in Crystal Reports 2008

Hello,

When I first add tables to a report, on the Links tab of the Database Expert, the tables are automatically linked on several fields. All of these links if kept, cause no data to display on the reports. I have not seen this happen with non act databases. I'm trying to figure out why act causes all of these links to be created? Any help would be greatly apprecated. 

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Linking ACT tables in Crystal Reports 2008

Hi,

Your issue is not ACT related but how crystal trys to save the developer time in automatically creating links to other tables when you add them to the report. 

Personally i never trust these and always destroy them after adding new tables to the mix.  The problem is crystal will map any field from one table to the other that have the same field name and the same field type.  Since crystal doesn't know the database structure its ususually not correct.

You should reference a DRM (Data Reference Manual) to deterimine the correct linking, however this is not always available.

If you do not have a DRM for the database start with one table, and add one table in at a time until you get all the links correct.

If you get stuck you can always repost a specific question here on the community forums.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Joe K.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author training2go
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Your issue is not ACT related but how crystal trys to save the developer time in automatically creating links to other tables when you add them to the report. 

Personally i never trust these and always destroy them after adding new tables to the mix.  The problem is crystal will map any field from one table to the other that have the same field name and the same field type.  Since crystal doesn't know the database structure its ususually not correct.

You should reference a DRM (Data Reference Manual) to deterimine the correct linking, however this is not always available.

If you do not have a DRM for the database start with one table, and add one table in at a time until you get all the links correct.

If you get stuck you can always repost a specific question here on the community forums.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Joe K.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet
Bronze Super Contributor

The behavior you describe is pretty typical for Crystal - have seen it with numerous other data sources other than Act!...

It is trying to help you by suggesting what the relations between tables should be...

Remove and create your own.

Master Commentator

Hello,

Yes, I understand that Crystal is just doing it's thing when linking tables. I just noticed that it creates a lot more links with an ACT db. With an ACT db, I have no choice but to delete all of the links and select the one that I need.

Thank you.

jkeesey wrote:

Hi,

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Joe K.