Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Linkedin & Web Info

Administrator

Re: Linkedin & Web Info

Hi Brinley,

We are aware of the issue with the Social Updates tab, and are planning to fix this issue soon.
As for accessing LinkedIn using the Web Info tab, please see the info above in this thread for a solution.

Thanks John, it is working fine for me too now. I may have panicked as my heart hit my boots.

For the record I don't like what Microsoft is doing to LinkedIn either.

Thanks Gary, problem solved.

Copper Elite Contributor

have a couple of clients now using the web info tab reporting this:

Even the pages that work are moving really slow right now and I am getting an “Out of Memory” message that appears to be related to the Web Info tab.

Tamara Traylor
New Ideas Consulting Inc
Copper Contributor

It's absolutely astonishing to me that it takes act this long to fix the problem.  LinkedIN has been telegraphing the impending change to developers for months.  When is the development team going to get its act together and be more responsive to its loyal user base?

Administrator

traybeme wrote:

have a couple of clients now using the web info tab reporting this:

Even the pages that work are moving really slow right now and I am getting an “Out of Memory” message that appears to be related to the Web Info tab.

Regarding the Out of memory errors, we have managed to replicate a pattern of behaviour that causes this and the prior slowdowns. this has now been logged as defect D-05628.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't used ACT since early January when LinkedIn was working fine.  The ability to use LinkedIn is huge and it is how I do my business.  Also, remembering this page is huge and it is critical!  Since I am not a database guy, I'm trying to understand what is happening here.  I'm not sure I understand what to do to make LinkedIn work as before.  I'm still using 18.0.501.0, Update 7.  It is incredibly slow if it works at all.

I have made the change to the link and I am also getting out of memory messages.  When will this be fixed or is it time to find a new DB program?

Thank you,

Dave Rosenthal

Administrator

Hi Dave,

To regain normal functionality of LinkedIn in the Web Info tab, please follow the instructions in the following Knowledgebase Article to update the URL used: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38551

The URL used by the Social Updates tab cannot be updated by customers within the software, but will be changed in an upcoming update to the software to fix the issue. At the moment, this update is only planned for v19, though it could be possible that some previous version of Act! could also receive the fix.

It's still currently possible to use the Social Updates tab, however it requires a little more effort than before LinkedIn was updated. Bookmarks to remembered pages continue to work. To find a contact and remember their profile, follow these steps:

1. While viewing the Social Updates tab for the Act! contact you wish to find in LinkedIn, click the LinkedIn Logo in the upper left corner of the tab
  2. Search for the contact by typing their name into the search field
  3. Click on the relevant result to view their profile
  4. Click the "Remember This Page" button in the tab toolbar

You will then always be shown the contacts profile page when clicking the Social Updates tab in future.

I don't currently have a timeframe on a fix for the out of memory issue i'm afraid. If you are experiencing slowness of the Web Info tab, then closing Act! and reopening it should free up some memory and speed things up again.

Copper Contributor

This has seriously disrupted my company's usefulness of Act.  It would seem to be an easy fix, but since Act chose to use some kind of offbeat embedded browser, this kind of crap will happen.  Not sure why Act didn't use a mainstream embedded browser window, but it's been problematic from day one.  Since the code to make the social updates is obviously cobbled together rather than clean code where a link could be updated, I don't suppose Act has an estimate for when this will be corrected.  It's not like LinkedIn telegraphed that this change would be coming. (obvious sarcasm!)  Every other vendor that I use to integrate with LinkedIN had this fixed when the first round of new UI on LinkedIN was released.  Since the company is milking its cash cow, I know we can't expect Act to pull together a revised version of the software that would use clean code and 21st century programming methodologies, so this is really pushing many of us to move to a platform that has a better UI, better performance, and stability.  I've put up with poor customer service and crappy software long enough, and I'm close to the final straw.

Go ahead & delete my input here.  Act executives continue to put heir head in the sand about obvious quality problems, but that destines the company for a slow fall into the abyss of once great software where poor culture kills the motivation of everyone inside.

Administrator

Hi cthomas1017,

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I apologise for the disruptions this issue is causing your company. I know the Product Management team are aware of the issue, and a fix is currently scheduled to be included in the next service pack release which is currently being worked on.

I assure you, we take customer feedback from these posts seriously, and use feedback like that provided in this thread to prioritize defect fixes and improvements that can be made to Act! within our release cycles.

I'll make sure to pass long the further comments about this issue, and its usage cases to the Product Management team so that we can ensure its priority is correctly assessed.