Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Linkedin & Web Info

Copper Contributor

Re: Linkedin & Web Info

Thank you for your reply Gary.  I did get it to work, but it is so slow that it is really not functional.  I don't know if this is because I have not upgraded to the latest version.  Is this possible?  Are there any other issues with upgrading.  This issue has already hurt enough and I don't have time to fix any additional problems.

Administrator

Hi Dave,

I'm not aware of any changes that we've made to improve the speed of these areas in Act! between the current release and yours.
Slowness is usually the symptom of a system running out of resources. Have a look in Windows Task Manager, and check the memory column. How much is Act! and SQL using? How much memory do you have in total?
Copper Contributor

Gary,
I think memory is ok.  This is a fairly new machine with 16B RAM.  I've attached a screenshot of task manager below.

I really don't think anything on my end has changed since I was last using ACT between Christmas and New Years.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave R

Copper Contributor

Nope.  Slowness from the start.  Slower as resources come up.  Like I said, for some reason, one of the act developers or product directors got the insane idea of using some obscure embedded browser instead of using google.  Now we have to live with their bad decisions.

Administrator

Hi all,

How slow are we talking about here? It would be useful if you could give us some benchmark figures from the web info tab, i.e:

• Time it takes to completely load the web page from opening a contact and selecting the tab, just after Act! has been opened
  • Same as above, but after Act! has been running for a while
  • Time it takes to completely load the page when switching between contacts while the tab remains open

For reference, Act! uses the .NET WebBrowser control, which is a wrapper for IE that uses the same components already installed on the client machine. I believe the Product Development will be researching improvements to this area for future versions of the software as part of the defect I posted earlier.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

30 seconds to never.  Pages are partially loading.  LinkedIn has never worked properly in the Act windows.  So many problems with it, it's not worth ever detailing them all.  Core of the problem is that Act should replace the foundation of the web access.  But since the company can't even get a minor browser linked changed in the space of 3-4 months, there's no since hoping that the entire flawed browser architecture could get changed over.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Linkedin & Web Info NOT SOLVED

[ Edited ]

LinkedIn is very slow to load - or doesn't load at all.  It has also caused ACT! to crash multiple times.  If I have a list of contacts I'm scrolling through - and the Web Info tab is open, it will crash.  I cannot even use the Social Updates tab - it does't load at all.  Seems over the last several weeks it is getting worse.  Also, LinkedIn is slow to populate the search box with the current contact.  I've been getting this message:  "Oops! it's not you, it's us, Give it another try, please. "

Administrator

Hi spsearch,

The out of memory errors relating to the web info tab have been recognised as a defect in Act, and it has been logged as defect D-05628.
I don't currently have any further insight to share on this issue, but I know that it's something our development team is currently focusing on.
Copper Contributor

Sad that the Act development team can't fix this huge hole.  It's made Act almost useless to me.  No surprise though.  Typical act development team incompetence.

Copper Super Contributor

It has made ACT! challenging for me as well since I use that feature all day long.