Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Licensing and administrative issues

Licensing and administrative issues

First I will name the 2 users invovled for easier reference during this explination.

We are using ACT! Pro 2012 on Win 7

Kim - original licensed user and admin

Norma - new employee

Mike - me, the psuedo tech guy

Well to start, we unfortunately lost Kim to cancer about a month ago. So Norma has been using her log in to access the database. Well all the records she entered were credited to Kim. So in an attempt to let Norma log in as Admin so all default records are credited to her. I, while logged into Kim's account, went to Manage users, And reduced her to Standard user, changed Norma to Admin and logged off. Went to log on to Norma and got the error message about not enough licenses. Then I logged back into Kim only to discover I no longer had the rights to manage users or many of the other menu items we need for day to day use!! So how do I re-establish the admin to Kim, or can I re license to Norma with out admin rights? What can I do? Any suggestions? We are dead in the water at this point

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Licensing and administrative issues

Hello Michael,

Was Kim the only person that used ACT!?  Are there any other users, with their own sign-on info, who may have admin authority?

If there is another admin user, you can have them set the authority appropriately.

Greg Martin
Sage

No, Kim was the Administrator and several others were users so as to assign a few feilds to. We use it for building permits, so other "users" were created for record management. Ex. when I do an inspection and enter a note I can credit the note to my user name. But when we try to log on as another user we get the one license error. So it will only allow me to log on to Kim's user name as I assume that to bethe original user attached to the license. The problem is, while logged into hers I changed Admin rights to standard, instaed of as I have no found, switching her to inactive to release the license. Now when I log into Kim's user account I cannot select "Manage Users" to change Admin Rights or even make her inactive. Norma has the Admin rights but we can't log into her account because of only one license!. Whew, follow that? Hope you can help, still dead in the water without admin rights! Mike

Do you happen to have a backup of the database created before the change to the authority?  If yes, you can restore it using the 'Restore As' option - to create a new copy of the database (File > Restore > Database > Restore As).

The other option will be contacting Sage ACT! support for assistance.  Since there are now 2 users defined within the database, use the information in the following article for contacting the Database Services group: KB Article 14150

Greg Martin
Sage

Thats one of the problems, I did not do a backup, bad idea I know, and now without admin rights the "backup" - "database" option is greyed out! I am attempting to copy the folder containing the .ADF and others to another place for now. Won't save the ADF because SQL is using it. But I will fix that and get a copy.

Question, if I remove the license and restart the program, log in under Norma, would it promt me for the license and then after inputing it, let me continue logging into Norma? Or could I remove the program, reinstall then log into Norma's user to restore the database?

[ Edited ]

Another question, can I use ACTDiag to "clear" the license, then restart the database and log into Norma to input the Serial Number to attach the license to Norma? I used ACTDiag to "Stop" the SQL instance and it allowed me to copy the .ADF and .alf files. So I have "copies" of the database and not a "backup". I hope this works out.

I am in the process of trying to order 2013 with 2 licensees but have to get CC approval and that may take awhile. SO we need a fix soon! Thank you for your help. Mike 

Glad to hear you were able to create a copy of the database - as good as a backup, just not in zip format.

Unfortunately, your idea for clearing the license and then signing on with the 'other' user name won't work.  The database retains the user information determining which ones are active, active-pending, or disabled.  It wouldn't let you open the database with 'other' user name.  Good question though. 

Just a thought:  Do you use ACT! for anything other than keeping customer contact information?  Basically just a list of contacts...  If it is just a list of contacts and you don't need the history/notes/etc., you can export the current list of contacts (Contact List view > add all columns to view > Export to Excel), then create a new database (close the current database through File > Close Database, then select File > New Database) and import the csv into the new database.

Greg Martin
Sage

No unfortunatly we do have much more information than that, many notes, attachments, etc. But that was a nice thought. Thanks.