Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Licensing User Headache

Licensing User Headache

We purchased for a customer, Act15. Installed it and they haven't used it until now. 

When they logged in, it was to the demo DB, and there is a user Chris who appears to the the administrator and the license (1 user) seems to be tied to him. When we created a user with the users actual name, they don't appear to be able to work as it says they aren't in compliance for the DB. When I called act they told me a consultant at $160 an hour would need to "fix" this for me. 

I don't understand why it requires a consultant, surely there is a documented method to appoint the new user an administrator, and assign them the license.

When we tried to assign the new user as an administrator the program told me only 1 user could be administrator, but I am worried if I remove the currently assigned administrator, there will be no user with the rights to assign the second user the rights if that makes sense. 

All we want is the user it was purchased for to be able to login and work under their own name. I understood act was licensed per concurrent user, not per named user. Seems Draconian if that's the case. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Licensing User Headache

Don't create a new user in the demo database, create a new database

The license sets the maximum number of users in the database.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Sorry I am a little lost. If it's 1 user per license, should I not be able to say, the user I want to have access is user A?

It would seem the import occurred on the demo DB, Should we just remove all users except user A, and this should fix the problem?

If we remove the administrator user, will be able to assign the User A as administrator?
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi networkn,

Act! will actually prevent you from removing/changing the access rights of the administrator if there is only one, so you can't accidentally remove all users from the Database.

It sounds though like you are trying to setup your client as a user on the Demo Database, there is no real need to do this, as anything they need to practice can be done using the Chris Huffman user.

If you Create a New Database for them to use for their business, the first step is creating the User for that Database, at which time you can set it up with your clients details, they will then be the sole user (and administrator) of that database.

Act! Licencing is Per Named user, so this means that if your client had 3 Databases, they could have the same named user created on each database, and sign in with it.  if they wanted a second user for any/all of the databases, they would need a second licence.

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services