Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Letter writing using ACT word processor

Letter writing using ACT word processor

My version is 2009 11.0.0.367.  I have checked update and there are none - I have latest.  O.S. is Vista Home Premium Service pack 1

When I use ACT to write a letter using a letter template, as I type the opening text, the word processor simply drops out in the sense that I may have typed the opening character but I can look up after typing an entire sentence only to discover that I have only got that opening character in the document.  If I then, as it were, nail the cursor to the end of that character I can type another character or two but it will drop out again.  Usually on the third attempt, I can get the word processor to behave as it should and get no further drop-outs.

What on earth can this be?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Letter writing using ACT word processor

try getting the 11.1 update and see if this has been resolved might be the first step
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

If I hit the Update option in ACT Help menu, I get message telling me that my 2009 is the latest version.  Yet my version is not 11.1?  How can I locate and download the 11.1 update you identify please?

I have located the upgrade software within Sage Act support.  Downloaded the V11.1 upgrade but it reported that my (V11) software detected OK but that the upgrade was incompatible with my version!  I'm now downloading the 300mb full software for V 11.1.  Can I simply install that over the top of V 11.0 or must I remove V11.0 and then do a clean install of V11.1?  I don't want to lose any records/history etc.

Uninstall the previous version before installing the full 11.1.  You will not lose any data in your database.

Even with broadband and three attempts, I have so far failed to get the entire 300mb executable for the full version 11.1  The server was reset before the download had completed.

I really am astonished that a brand like SAGE are incapable of providing an updater that works.  It is equally infuriating when the ACT Help menu provides and Update option which too fails to work!

Fortunately the UK Sage Support staff are superb and I hope to receive V 11.1 on CD in the next few days.

After several attempts I now have version 11.1 dowloaded and installed - it took an hour to downlad as Sage servers seemed throttled ay 86.9 kb/sec!  Only time will tell whether this fixes the word processer problems.  Going on the time taken to convert the V11.0 database, this is a pretty comprehensive upgrade.

Well, after installing the latest version namely 11.1, I am no furrher forward with the problem of the ACT word processor dropping out mid-typing.  I will ask Support for help as they were so very helpful in supplying 11.1 on a CD when I could not get the full download via my poor broadband.  This is a serious flaw in the ACT software.  Retired now I write few letters but it must be infuriating for someone who still uses this software for professional letter writing on a frequent basis.
Tuned Listener

Can anyone please tell me where to I can download the full version of Act 2009 11.1, I have fAct 2009 11.0 and cannot get it to update. I purchased the 2009 version becuase I was having similiar problems with 2008. I am tired of purchasing a completely new program everytime Act has a glitch. Someone please help!

You aught to be able to get that from the Sage Support web site.  However, if you are struggling try talking to support.  If like me you use it personally rather than for commerce, chances are they will send you a CD with it on.  Their support for me has been first class and I am just a wrinkly who after 20 years of using ACT (1st Act on 2 fdd's in early 90's) just cannot imagine not having it even in retirement.