Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Letter Mail out Template

Copper Contributor

Letter Mail out Template

I seem to be having a problem where in a template letter I would like "My Record" of my return address printer on each letter.  As I have multiple "return addresses" I would just change my own record to have the template retrieve that address.  However when I edit the template to retrieve from "my record" as it does in the envelope template, it doesn't work.  How can I review the "custom" which is in the envelope and literally copy that to the letter template.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Re: Letter Mail out Template

Unfortunately, that won't work. The custom script that works in labels will not work in MSWord or the ACT word processor. If you're lookinf for a solution that will allow you to "on the fly" select one of your multiple addresses. This can't be done.

Here are a couple of options. Create additional users records each with a my record (this however would burn a license) another option would be to create a different template for each address.  Finally, you could use an addin package to actually copy the correct address into the address1 fields prior to the merge.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I would simply be happy to be able to use my records address as the return address on the letter, however it does not seem to want to retrieve it.

Your thoughts?

Silver Contributor

try the standard letter, Write, Letter. Does this work? if so, start from that template or use that as an example.

(866)710 4228

Copper Contributor

Just want to add my address, city etc as the return address on the existing template.  Tried to insert from "my" address and didn't work.  Any hints?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Whenyou edit the template in the table of fields, there is a dropdown at the tom that will allow you to insert the field from the My record rather than the contact record.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Tried it and the following is inserted and doesn't match my record...

<MY:Business Line 1><MY:Business City>

Silver Contributor

Hope this doesn't sound too simplistic, but it's the next step.  Please verify that you are inserting the correct fields.  On your my record, find your address fields you are hoping to add to your template. Right click and veriry the field name. It will seay Lookup - Field Name. ARe you inserting the correct fields into your template?

The reason I wanted you to check with the default template is to verify that it is in fact working.  Is the default template working?

(866)710 4228

Copper Contributor

On the template letter the addresses to which the letter goes out to are as follows:

<Contact>

<Business Line 1>

<Business Line 2>

<Business City>, <Business State> <Business Postal Code>

I wanted to pull from "my record" the same information (except for the 'contact' field) to be the return address such as in my envelopes.  I add from the "Add Mail Merge Fields", select "My Record" and select the same fields.  These fields are inserted into a text box on the top right of the letter template.

<MY:Business Line 1>

<MY:Business Line 2>

<MY:Address 3>

<MY:Business City>, <MY:Business State>, <MY:Business Postal , Code> 

These field insertions result in the text box simply showing the field names as indicated above.  What's up with these?

Frank Zanatta

Silver Contributor

I suspect something broken with the template.  Try inserting theser fields into a brand new template, just the fields and see if it works. If so, it's the template, it would have to be recreated.  You could then cut and paste from the "broken" template everythying except teh field names.  Is there anything special going on with the field names. For example, merging into text boxes doesn't work. any thing like that going on?

(866)710 4228