Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layouts Not Seen On New Computer Act! 2005

Layouts Not Seen On New Computer Act! 2005

Here's my story --

All computers had older version (7.0.3.211).  One new computer needed act but I couldn't find the same version to upgrade our standard 2005 Act! installation CD to so I just upgraded everything to the newest version of 2005. Now all the computers work fine except for the new computer. It can open all databases but it does not open any of the layouts -- all fields are seen as the standard ones that come already made for you.  All other computers have the layouts/fields/labels we designed. This new computer only has the data.  All the databases and their information is on a server. All computers access the server to get the databases.  Any help?

Windows XP Pro

Act! 2005 version 7.04.82

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Layouts Not Seen On New Computer Act! 2005

With all due respect, there is some piece of information missing in your description because what you are describing can't happen because the layouts are part of the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Okay I explained it wrong. Basically all of my labels and user field names do not show up. 

For example: My custom field label under "User Fields" says "DoS" but on the new computer it says "User 1". As stated before all other computers display the correct labels.  All the correct data is correct but the labels aren't.

Thanks again.

Nickel Elite Contributor

The user with the problems either has to be using a different layout or a different database. Because the layouts are integral with the database, it has to be one of those two situations. The same layout can't show different field labels when viewed by two different systems
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks for that reply. I went to a "working" computer and opened Database LienTrials.pad by going to "My Network Places" and following the folders until I found the exact file.  I went to the "nonworking" computer and did the same thing.  Now the "working" computer displays everything correctly and the "nonworking" computer does not show the correct fields.

So now knowing that I am opening the exact same database, how do I go about checking which layouts the "nonworking" computer is linking with so I may check to see if it's wrong?

Nickel Elite Contributor

At the bottom of the navigation bar on the left side of the screen, click on the Layout button and it will show all the layouts available.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks so much for your help. Basically what happened was the layouts were named the same so I didn't notice that ACT! defaulted (new install of program) to link all databases to the original layouts.

Thanks for all your help!