Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout design causes ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 to crash

Copper Contributor

Layout design causes ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 to crash

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my copy of ACT! ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 seems increasingly unstable. The latest problem is that any attempt to use the layout design tool causes the programme to hang and stay that way until closed. Any ideas anyone?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Layout design causes ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 to crash

[ Edited ]

Hey Albert,

Assuming ACT!2012 will run on windows 10 platform, I am just guessing here but this could help?

1st - MANUALLY check for windows updates to insure that you have a complete operating system.

Still have problem?

Insure you have the most curr version of ACT!2012 - refer the act download center.

Still have problem?

Make sure you backup your act db and personal file stuff. ( File / backup / database ) ....

Try running ACTDIAG using the database rebuild options.  refer act knowledgebase.

Still have problems?

Delete your ACT! Preferences Folder then,  reconfig your ACT! Preferences.

Still have problem?

Run Checkdisk on your c-drive, then reboot pc.

Still have problem?

In ACT! 2012 perform a file copy database using a new db name. See if that new db works any better.

Still have problem?

Hope not, cus that's all I got for now.. Smiley Happy cheers - FSBill

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Thanks Bill - enough there to while away an hour or two so it will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know.
Nickel Elite Contributor

You are welcome.

It may not work but worth a try?

This post will shed more lite on issue.

http://community.act.com/t5/Act/Act-Pro-2013-and-Windows-10/td-p/307788 - Smiley Happy  

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made a reply to this post! Thanks anyway - I have been trying to re-write some templates I need which used to work with all the versions of MS Office from Office 97 up to and including 2013, but now refuse to work at all. Most of the time it will crash when in the middle of editing anything with a data field in it.
I also have had no reply to the questions I asked in the post referred to above - seems the SwiftPage either don't know or wont answer because they want to take yet more of my money! Not going to happen - I could always send them an account for the time I am spending on this ill conceived horror. If it had a petrol tank they'd call it a Pinto!

EDIT:

It must have heard me. Since the last attempt to edit a template which caused a crash ACT! will now not run at all.

Report contents as follows although I'll be truly amazed if anyone responds to this!

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> System.ArgumentException: Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'.
   at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor(Stream stream, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor(Stream stream)
   at Act.UI.Common.Images.ImageManager.GetIcon(String iconName)
   at Act.UI.Core.MenuImageManager.getIcon(String imageFileName)
   at Act.UI.Core.MenuImageManager.GetIcon(String urn)
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.RestoreImagesToCollection()
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.LoadDisconnectedMenuToolBar()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeExplorer()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeApplication()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication..ctor(IUnityContainer container, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
   at BuildUp_Act.UI.ActApplication(IBuilderContext )
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerBase.Resolve[T]()
   at Act.Application.ActBootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()
   at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.UnityExtensions.UnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean runWithDefaultConfiguration)
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonders will never cease! I used ACT! diags and cleared out the ACT! Preferences - not 100% but better than it was and the new templates now work a treat! Now all I have to do is set them to save as a .doc file get back to some semblance of order. Good thing I have been beating myself with the IT stick for the last 20 years as an ACT! user or I would not have managed it, I think.......