Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Designer in Act! 2010

Layout Designer in Act! 2010

Just installed 2010 (have used ver 6 for years), and downloaded the latest fix.  My questions re the Layout Designer are:

1.  Is it possible to open/start from an unpopulated layout (no fields pre-positioned)?  I thought I saw something like that, but cannot relocate it.

2.  The much bigger problem is that I am having great difficulty moving or repositiioning the labels and data fields to another spot on the designer layout.  Most times, no amount of clicking on the label/field will enable me to move it.  Only once in a while.

Also, cut works fine, but paste does not position the label/field at all where I am attempting to position it.

Does anyone have any experience/advice to resolve these issues?  Thank you for your help.

Jim

Employee

Re: Layout Designer in Act! 2010

1. I'm not aware of how to start from a blank layout, although Ctrl+A would select all, then you could easily remove all the items.

2. I use the toolbox to help position fields/labels. F4 open the toolbox and you can assign the position numerically instead of trying to click and drag.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

Jim,
You can start with a blank layout by clicking File > New from the Layout Designer. You will have to specify what type of layout (contact, company, etc). In regards to moving fields, the easiest way is to drag and drop them. Then, as Matt suggested, use the Properties windows to position it more precisely.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you, Matthew and Greg.

I have created the blank layout now.  However, for some reason, I am unable to move the fields around that I put in it by dragging and dropping.

Any idea what is wrong/what I can do (differently)?  Thanks again.

Jim Boyd

Platinum Elite Contributor

What happens when you try to move them? They just don't move? It could possibly be an issue with your machine's DPI setting...ACT! layouts have issues when the DPI is set higher than 96...especially on Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. If your DPI is higher than 96, you can try lowering it then rebooting.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.