Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Designer - Basic Contact Layout

Layout Designer - Basic Contact Layout

I'm fairly new to ACT but am getting the hang of it relatively quickly.  Would really like some advice on this so I don't have to recreate the wheel though.

In the Contact Detail view, I created a new tab called 'Ad History'.  I'm with a magazine and would like to have an easy way to reference issues the client has been in historically.  I'm imagining the top row with these titles...

"Issue"  "Ad Size"  "Ad Cost"  "Ad Shape"  "Color"  "Placement"

I'd like one row under that in which the info would be entered. All of the fields would be populated from drop down menus except the "Ad Cost" and "Placement" fields which would be a memo style entry.  I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on how to do thiat part.

Next, and here's where I'm getting stuck, is how I can indicate that I've finished entering information in that row and have it drop down into a list that would appear below the entry fields.  I'd also like to be able to go back and edit an entry if I make an error or need to add a note. 

So here's a rough visual of what I'd like to create:

"Issue"                                      "Ad Size"                              "Ad Cost"         "Ad Shape"       "Color"           "Placement"

Drop Down menu with           Drop Down menu with         Memo style        DD menu          DD menu      Memo style       ENTER

issues to choose from.          sizes to choose from            entry                    shapes              colors             entry                BUTTON

May/June 2013                         .5 page                                  $1000                 Horizontal          Full Color        Near front          EDIT

Jan/Feb 2013                           .25 page                                $700                   Vertical                B&W +1          By food               EDIT

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Deanne

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Layout Designer - Basic Contact Layout

[ Edited ]

Hi Deanne,

I believe I understand your plan.

However, instead of using the Contact Layout, you maybe should consider using the part of ACT! that is already built to do this sort of thing? Opportunity Layout.

The Opportunities module of ACT! Including the "Products TAB" in the Opportunity layout.

The Opportunity layouts can be modified just like the contact and compay layouts. Add new fields, etc..

Your Subscriptions are Opportunities/Sales.

Your Products and Pricing, Cost is included in the Products TAB.

These things can also get recorded to the History Tab in the Opportunity side of ACT!.

Note: When modifying a Layout, it may be best to open it, then File Save As, and create a new layout with different file name.

that way you keep the original ACT! layouts in tact. Hope this helps -

Inside ACT! on the Welcome Tab are some How To video items such as Creating New Opportunities.

Here is a link to the ACT! Opportunities tour http://download.act.com/tours/training/2011/OpportunitiesTour.htm 

Cheers -.Smiley Happy FSB

PS; Remember to Backup your ACT! db using ACT! / File / Backup Database, etc.. BEFORE making major changes.

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might be able to use the opportunities for what you want but I would recommend using a custom table. The ACT! database hase the capabilities but you would need a third party program to provide the human interface to design and manage the custom table. Two such plugins are available from Topline Designer or Durkin computing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

So your original plan should be do-able using pure act? without any Custom Tables?

Question: not sure why you would use a Memo field type for Currency data info? Maybe could use a currency field type?

Your other question, may be resolved by creating a Drop down for each desired Field.

Tools/Define Fields there is a area to Manage Drop Downs.

When creating/configuring your fields, you also have a option to record any field changes to the History Tab.

Then apply new fields to your Layout.

If you chose that method, you can also use the History Reports nicely to view desired History info.

Easily Search and filter desired History data for quick viewing.

A few years ago, I developed a ACT! database much like this where we could manage online Subcriptions.

Your plan should work? Smiley Happy Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html