Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Design

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Layout Design

Hi mbenwitt,

When you copy and paste layout fields in the layout designer, you then need to assign data to them. The best practice for doing this is:

1. Manually create your first set of fields with labels.
  2. Select the fields you wish to copy, but do not select the labels.
  3. Copy and paste the fields, then reposition them to where you want them to be.
  4. Deselect the fields and then double click on each new field to link data to it. This should also then create the labels for the fields.

Repeat these steps as necessary.

To increase the height of the tab section in the layout designer, first click the grey horizontal dividing bar just above the tab names, then grab the small handle that appears in the middle, and drag it upwards to increase the height.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

I am able to follow your first 3 steps, then I click save, but it does not save. It reverts back to the previous layout where I just have copied the grey fields. If I delete the grey fields, and save, that works, but not if I add the blank fields.
Highlighted
Administrator

Check this screen recording for the steps I'm describing. At what point are you running into issues?

2017-07-21_16-34-42.gif

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

I just realized that the change do not hold until you select a field name. I had not done that because that raises another question. I want all rows to be the same. I want to enter information for properties owned by a particular contact so I want multiple fields for "Property Address". It looks like once you select that field, it is not available again. In that case I can create fields names called Property Address 1, Property Address 2, etc.
Highlighted
Administrator

That's correct. You can't have the same field appear more than once on the same layout. You can create a new field to store the data though.
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Thanks Gary, I appreciate all your very timely help.
Highlighted
Administrator

You're welcome!
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

I am not able to increase the size of the tab section, lower. I can only increase it so it goes up into the other fields. The bottom part of the box is fixed, so only the top moves. I am able to resize when I am out of the designer but that does not help me when i want to add more fields in the tab.
Highlighted
Administrator

Hi mbenwitt,

Can you see the small resizing handle appear after clicking on the horizontal dividing bar? 

Here's another screen recording of this action:

2017-07-24_09-20-12.gif

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

What you really need is a sub table to hold in list view the property details which can be found with some add-ons.

The other options suggested here will work but requires a lots of fields depending on the number of properties.

Before we look at add-ons do look at the Secondary Contact Tab to see if this would hold the information you are trying to capture.