Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Design

Layout Design

I would like to modify the Contacts view. At the bottom of the view there are a number of tabs labeled Activities, Opportunities, etc. I was able to add a new tab, but do not know how to modify that tab. I want to use one of these tabs to create a list of properties, so i need a few columns like street address, city, size, etc. 

After creating this, can i import into this tab? Also, is it searchable? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Layout Design

What you're trying to do is combine a global list view from one table with a detail view on a single contact. This would be a useful feature in some cases but at present there isn't any way to do that in the ACT! program and I don't know of any addon that would allow that. You might want to use the groups with a custom lanyout design to do your list of properties, each group being a separate property. You could then assign interested contacts to group (property) for tracking purposed. The groups tab on the contact screen would show properties a contact was interested in.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply. The properties in the list would only be associated with that contact (owned by that contact). Does that change your response?

Since I do not need to have a large number of properties, I can Instead create fields in the main layout to accommodate a few properties, specifically for that contact. .

If you're not otherwise using groups I would modify the groups so that each group reflected the property description. You can add sets of fields in the contact table for properties . However one set of fields would be needed for each property owned by the contact. For example if you create two sets of property field for each contact what happens when you have a contact three properties.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I do not understand what you mean by "modify the groups....."I What i want is to be able to add basic property information for a particular contact that would be unique to that contact. I need about 5 fields per property (street address, city, etc.) I can create those sets of fields in the contact table, but that is limiting. I have room for maybe 3 sets, so if someone owns only one property, the other fields sets are blank. Of course if they own more than three properties, I would need to accommodate that information elsewhere. Is it possible to modify the groups so I can input information there? Would it be better to modify one of the other sections, like User Fields, and if so, how I customize the heading and field names?
Administrator

Hi mbenwitt,

If you're looking for information on how to use the layout designer, you can find this information in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15332

This goes into detail on how you can create new fields in the database, and add new tabs to the layout. You can then place your fields wherever you like, including within these new tabs.

How do I create and modify new tabs at the bottom of the contact window?
Administrator

In the Layout Editor, click Edit > Tabs > Add Tab.

When I referred to configuring the group for properties, What you would want to do is first use the group name as the property name. Then rename existing group fields of add new fields for the property description (street number, type, etc.). You likely also want to design a group layout for the property description. Then each property becomes a separte group that can be connected to one or more contacts. In the contact view the properties (groups) would show up as a list on the groups tab in the layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

See attached Word screenshot. I was able to add a tab named Properties. I then added 3 field in a row. How do I easily duplicate those rows, along with the labels? I did a copy and paste below but that just gave me a grey area for those fields. 

Also, when I am in Design Layout, there is only a narrow height within the tab. I want to be able to add 4 rows. When I save a layout the tab area is not as narrow so it looks like it can accommodate 4 rows.