Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Latest Activities fields

Accepted Solution Solved
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

Latest Activities fields

ACT! 2010 Version 12 - Why do the Latest Activities fields on the Contact Record have drop down arrows? Mine don't seem to do anything. Is there a use of these that could help my productivity?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author barrygou
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Latest Activities fields

You are correct, the drop down arrows do not function.  The only one that will work is for the 'Last Results' field, you can use this to select (or type in) a status that will automatically create a History item. 

For example, you didn't have an activity scheduled to send documentation to a particular customer but happened to be talking to them and sent it - you can add a comment to the Last Results field for 'Sent Literature' and it will create the corresponding History item for 'Sent Literature', saving you the time/keystrokes of having to create an activity or history item.

*This assumes that the Last Results field has been left at default settings to record history when updated.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author barrygou
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You are correct, the drop down arrows do not function.  The only one that will work is for the 'Last Results' field, you can use this to select (or type in) a status that will automatically create a History item. 

For example, you didn't have an activity scheduled to send documentation to a particular customer but happened to be talking to them and sent it - you can add a comment to the Last Results field for 'Sent Literature' and it will create the corresponding History item for 'Sent Literature', saving you the time/keystrokes of having to create an activity or history item.

*This assumes that the Last Results field has been left at default settings to record history when updated.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

So in ACT! 2010, how can I cause the letter sent field to be upated?  I know I cannot control this, but it's a system field for a reason... BACKDROP: I'm trying to see how I can record that I've sent a letter to this group... THEN LATER, for mail merge using that same group, I want to OMIT those that already received a specific letter.

I cannot create a Lookup based on opportunity stages, I cannot use anything (it seems to me) on the lower part of the screen (Activities, opportunities, history, notes, etc.)... 

How can I create a lookup (starting with a specific group) and omit those that received a letter?

Can the Latest activies be used for this? 

Thanks for any help.

Mark,

There is a way for you to manually update the Letter Sent field.  It requires that you create a History item with the Type = Other, and Result = Letter Sent.  This will populate the Letter Sent field with the date of the History item.  You can change the date for the History item while creating it, simply change the Date field.

So, if you have a Group that you send a letter to > you can then go the History tab for that Group > select New History icon.  On the New History screen you will then add the contacts of the Group by clicking on the 'Contact...' icon (far right) > change the Select From to Groups > select the appropriate Group > then use the double right pointing arrow icon to put all of the contacts into the right column.  Click Ok and complete the New History item as needed.  This will put the History item into each of the contacts' History tab.

You can use the Letter Sent field to perform a Lookup or to narrow a Lookup by using the Lookup > Other Fields > select 'Letter Date' and enter your criteria (such as Within Last X Days or Greater than x Date).   Using the additional Options on the Lookup you can Add, Narrow, or Replace the existing Lookup results.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Awesome!  Thanks Greg; I sure appreciate that.  That was the critical part I had missed (adding history for an entire group).

I don't suppose there's any way to find out something like: which of this group are in stage: "stage name"

I'll have to play with it, but since stage is part of the "Opportunities" (different tables I assume) I'm not sure I'll find it.

But you gave me the biggest need... THANKS!

Mark,

I can give you a really round about way of getting the information need (you are correct, there isn't a direct method because you are crossing tables)...

- First determine a field that you currently don't use on the Contact Detail screen (ex: User 10)

- Go to Opportunities list screen and perform Lookup on a specific Stage name

- Highlight all of the contacts in the list > right click in the highlighted area and select Create Lookup

- You will now be on the Contact Detail screen, with a list of the contacts associated with those highlighted Opps.

- Use the Edit > Replace field to populate the 'User 10' field (or field of choice).  It will only update the contacts in the list.

- Repeat these steps until all desired Stage Names have been populated in 'User 10'.

- Now go to the Group screen > right click on the desired Group and select 'Create Lookup'

- You are now on the Contact List > and can use Customize Columns (under Tools) to add 'User 10' to the screen

- Sort  by the Stage Name column (click on column heading) and determine which contacts are in the different stages.

Note: Before making mass updates (Replace Field) it is a good habit to make a backup of the database (File > Backup > Database).

You can also use the Edit > Replace Field option to clear 'User 10'.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Interesting. That makes sense an does offer promise for other lookups. Thanks for posting that. I'll give it a try.
Nickel Contributor

Greg - your 3/15 reply states "This assumes that the Last Results field has been left at default settings to record history when updated." My default is not set to record history. How can I turn this "on"?

The settings for 'Last Results' field can be updated through the Tools > Define Fields option.  Double click on the 'Last Results' field and enable the 'Generate History' option.

Greg Martin
Sage

Any idea what to do if on some contacts the "Latest Activies" fields don't populate?  On the majority they populate but on some they don't even though they have similar "Appointment Completed" history result.