Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Large Database 19K contacts running on Act 2009 - Upgrade for speed question

Large Database 19K contacts running on Act 2009 - Upgrade for speed question

Hello;

I have a sizable database of 19K contacts tied to about 10K of company records in Act 2009.  Speed is good unless I need to interact with company records then I have a very long noticable wait.

I believe I have enough hardware horsepower, 2ghz processor, 2gb memory, 7400 hd, running windows 7.  Total of two users with peer to peer sync.

My question is, if I upgrade to Act Platinum 2010 will this speed up processing for this database?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Large Database 19K contacts running on Act 2009 - Upgrade for speed question

I am no expert, but I administer an ACT! database and system with about 7 users and we have seen no speed enhancements to be honest. Maybe even a little slower. We were on 2006 with 45,000 records and we recently upgraded to 2010 with 9,000 records. I have spoken to techs at sage and they say it is really optimized for 5k-10k.

Hope that helped.

Re: Large Database 19K contacts running on Act 2009 - Upgrade for speed question

Thanks, very helpful.

I should mention the my current benchmark going from a contact record to a company record (with all other apps closed) is 5.0 sec.  I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're working with multiple records.......

I've tried re-indexing the database (shaved 0.5 sec) and re-indexing the hard drive. 

My next question is, would more memory help? a larger buffer hard drive? or is there an option to optimize/configure MS Sql to improve processing speed?