Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Keeping Database size under control - your suggestions?

Copper Contributor

Keeping Database size under control - your suggestions?

My database reached 4.2 gigabytes this weekend, a new high for us.  We have over 20,000 records and lots of attachments.  All client emails and their applications get attached to the database to provide a one-stop shop of client info.

Last year, I pruned some old Opportunities out of the database but I was wondering what others did as sort of "maintenance" on their databases?  Anything?

My users are a bit nervous about losing information so I'll have a fight on my hands about removing too much.

Thanks  Smiley Happy

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Keeping Database size under control - your suggestions?

Is 4.2gb the size of the ADF file, or does that number also include the attachments folder?  For SQL limits, the ADF file is the main for concern.

What version of SQL do you have installed (different size limits for different versions)?

What version of ACT! are they running?

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are kind of two issues here:

1. The size of the ADF ... this doesn't include attachments and will have performance issues at a point determined by the version of SQL and the hardware it's running on

2. The number of attachments (not the size) ... when Windows gets over 10K files in a folder, the directory access starts to slow. Unfortunately, this is an issue we are still waiting on Sage to resolve as all attachments (or their shortcuts) are only ever placed in the same folder.
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your feedback.  That number does include the attachments folder.  The ADF file is 43 megabytes - is that normal?

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Express Edition.  ACT Premium 2011 version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.  Sorry, I should have included that.  Smiley Happy

I went through the attachment folder and removed some erroneous files but it didn't make a significant difference.  That folder alone is 4.86 gigabytes and 16,244 files.  Smiley Surprised

Platinum Elite Contributor

My personal ADF is 350MB for 8000 contacts as a comparison ... many years of Notes/Histories

i would update to Service Pack 1 (13.1) and then Hotfix 3

The number of attachments is the only issue I see ... you might contact Ingo at http://www.crmaddon.com/ - he was working on a method to split the attachments folder into subfolders.