Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Keeping Country Codes when synching to a handheld

Keeping Country Codes when synching to a handheld

Hi All,

The challenge I am having is this.  As I travel overseas regularly I like to have all the my contacts phone numbers in my handheld PDA device in the format. +XX X XXXX XXXX

When I imported my contacts originally into ACT! it chopped off all the plus signs and the country codes and just imported the phone number (I imported from Outlook).  So all my numbers are now in the format X XXXX XXXX

Now when I synch to my PDA it imports the same format without the country code.  So if I am in Malaysia and want to call Australia (which is where I am from) I have to enter +61 manually in the PDA to make the call.  Pain in the bingy.

Anyone got any ideas how I set up the synch so that it will automatically add in the plus sign and the appropriate country code. The handheld is running Windows Mobile latest version.

Thanks in advance

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Keeping Country Codes when synching to a handheld

You might try a trial of Handheld Contact - it handles the phone number correctly (I'm also in Aust, so I know it works). It syncs directly from ACT! to the phone wirelessly, so avoids Outlook which can do odd things to the numbers.

You also get Notes, Histories, Activities... and can create History from emails, phone calls and SMS from the phone back to ACT!

There's a 14-day trial from that link, so you can test it and make sure it works.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice.  I downloaded and checked out the trial - looks fine however I think it will add a layer of complexity that we don't need in training the team.  I think will just have to keep it simple and stay with ACT!Link.  The challenge I am now having is that ActiveSync won't allow me to check the ACT Activities and Contacts fields in the list when setting up a synch set.  Do you know if Handheld Contact puts a block on this to reduce conflicts but doesn't remove it when uninstalled?

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Handheld Contact puts no blocks on it. It doesn't touch Activesync in any way.

I think you'll find the normal sync actually becomes more complex to manage