Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Keep getting Value Cannot be Null...Parameter:File when upgrading to 2011; Act support of no help!

Copper Super Contributor

Keep getting Value Cannot be Null...Parameter:File when upgrading to 2011; Act support of no help!

[ Edited ]

I am trying to convert an Act 6 file to 2011 using the "Simple" conversion.

I have run the Act 6 file through ActDiag and have green checks across the Board.

Now on my third call to tech support - and only 85 minutes on hold so far!  (My average wait times are at least 45 minutes per call).  At this rate, Act Tech support will be useless!

Followed the support/knowledgebase guidance to increase the timeouts in Act 2011 but NO LUCK.  I have been told to disable all Windows User Access Control - and also no luck with that.  

The conversion tool gets to "Converting Notes/History" and then errors out about 1/3 of the way (judging from the thermometer bar), with the error message that:

Conversion has been halted with the following message: Value Cannot be Null. Parameter Name: File

Has ANYONE had any luck with resolving this issue during a file conversion???

I can find references to this error when duplicating contacts, but I'm totally stymied here!

Any help would be appreciated.

Luis Rodrigues

FYI:

System is Intel Core i3 w 6GB of RAM, and fast hard drive; Act 6 file has about 11,500 records.

File is being converted locally, and not over a network.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Keep getting Value Cannot be Null...Parameter:File when upgrading to 2011; Act support of no help!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Keep getting Value Cannot be Null...Parameter:File when upgrading to 2011; Act support of no help!

Since it is failing in the Notes/History conversion it could be an issue with the data inside the V6 database.  To test this you can create a new database in V6 and convert it to 2011. 

If the test conversion is successful, you can attempt to correct the data within your original database by creating and 'Empty Copy' and then import all of the data from the original database into the empty copy.  Then attempt to convert the new database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

I've tried creating a new Act 6 file and importing the data into it - but that doesn't work because it causes me to lose data!

The problem is that we've had about 30 people use act over the 18 years -- and it's important for us to keep track of WHO made which notes, sent which letters to clients, etc.   The "empty copy" approach LOSES ALL THIS DATA!!

When you create an "empty copy" and import the import loses all the information about the users.  Frankly, if I'm going to lose that much information, I might as well rethink the whole upgrade thing...and consider going to a competitive product.  One of the great attractions to staying with Act was because we wouldn't lose data in the migration!

I have about 130,000 notes/histories/activities in the database and it's just not reasonable to lose the "who" attached to those records!

Luis

Platinum Elite Contributor

What you need to do is:
1. Create a new database from the old one by Save Empty Copy
2. Lookup the user records and JUST export them from the old to the New
3. Open the New and add all the Users - you MUST make sure the user names are EXACTLY the same and link them to the records you just imported
4. Then import the rest of the data

This should keep all the user data properly assigned.

You might also have a look at using RedFlags - linked from the Conversion article I posted above ... this is much better at cleaning issues for conversion that the ACT! 6.0 ACTDIAG

I had some success recently converting an ACT 6 database, which had around 120,000 attachments. Can I recommend you look at Redflags from Cornerstone. See http://www.cornerstonesolutions.com/redflag.html  There's an option in there that allows you to change the attachments in the ACT6 database into links. This seemed to do the trick for me!

Bob Earnshaw
BusinessPlus (Letchworth) Ltd
Accredited Business Partners for Sage & ACT! www.bplus.co.uk