Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

I just sold my business unit on using Act.  I have used it since the mid 90's.  I have found it to be an excellent product but the latest version has not been acceptable thus far. 

1.)  The moment I installed it I could no longer open and close Word without the "Word has encountered an error" message.  This happened whether using ACT to generate a letter or when trying to use Word stand alone. 

When I called technical support I was told (yesterday) "it is a Word problem, Word needs to be reinstalled, and it's just coincidence that the problems started happening after you installed Act otherwise we would be getting calls all the time".  This is almost never the case by the way, I used to do technical support for Microsoft, but I was willing to give it a try.  Upon a search on this forum no less I see it is a problem that has cropped up with several others before. Why would the technical support person not be forthcoming with this information? 

Second, the new version is unacceptably slow thus far.  It takes a full minute on the stop watch to open the program and between 15 and 30 seconds to literally save a single note to a single record. 

I called about finding a way to license 9 more copies of Act 6.0.  I have a copy of Act 6.0 with a single user license agreement.  I was told this was not possible. 

Unless I can find some method of boosting the speed, dramatically, I will be getting a refund and finding another solution for my team.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Matt

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

HI Matt,

We do a lot of work with ACT! customers as ACT! Consultants and the number of times that MS Word causes  a problem with ACT! 2010 is  negligable. I know that you would find ACT! 2010 a whole lot more productive than ACT! 6.0, its just that so far your experience hasn't been great. It would be a shame to not get it running as well as I know it can.

This one time as a gesture of goodwill, I would be happy to get one of our staff to provide free service to get it running for you. If by other assistance you don't get it running sweetly by end of today, we can assist by remote logon and get it sorted for you on Monday. No charge. In the meantime post the details here on version of Office, Operating System and check if your PC is up to specification, my advice is a minimum of 1GB RAM.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Re: Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

Many thanks for the offer, it is appreciated. 

My priority is about long term stability, staff acceptance, and the need for zero support or consultation as has been the case with the previous versions of Act I have used.  The current speed is just a non-starter and I am talking about the simplest, most basic functionality.  Find a single record, insert a note, and press OK.  The time between pressing OK and being able to move to another screen should not be 15 to 30 seconds.  I have used Act for 15 years; if I need consultation for the most basic features it would not be the right product for my team Smiley Happy

I have Windows XP with SP3, 1.8 Ghz processor, and 1gig of RAM.  My system meets the listed system requirements for Act 2010. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

I  understand your concerns both for the software and requiring to maintain staff buy-in in the transition from ACT! 6.0. What I can say is that it is a much more complex product then ACT! 6.0 and more demanding, with that the opportunities to have teething problem at the outset are much greater than with the simple technology of ACT! 6.0, however it can be sorted.

Which version of MS Office?

Graeme Leo

I really appreciate the offer, but to be clear I would not be interested in purchasing any consultation at any time.  I'm hoping to hear from folks from Act or from other users who have mitigated the performance problem. 

I'm the only person on my team using Act.  I have not had a single problem in 7 years using Act 6.0 - not one glitch and not one need to call support.  We don't need features beyond the basics so the reduced stability and performance with the new version would not be a worthwhile tradeoff. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

The offer was not made with any intent for any future reward.

What version of MS Office?

Graeme Leo

My team uses Office 2003.

Copper Contributor

"I have Windows XP with SP3, 1.8 Ghz processor, and 1gig of RAM.  My system meets the listed system requirements for Act 2010."

Matt, that certainly meets the minimum requirements, and Act! should work well in it.  However Act! is rarely the only application running in your computer, and they all end up sharing these same resources. So in reality, unless you are running only Act! by itself, your setup (hardware) is less than ideal and that is likely causing the delays you are experiencing (characteristic of memory swapping).

If you multitask and therefore must keep several applications running at the same time (a typical situation), then I would recommend you upgrade your hardware or keep using older versions of Act! until you do so.  For basic features, v6 is (still) my favorite option and runs great in all kinds of environment.  And once you have the hardware to run 2010/11 well, then you'll be hooked by the new features.  From my own (and many other's) experience, the new versions can run as fast as v6, provided that you run it in the current crop of computer hardware.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. 

I would definitely stay with Act if they would give me the licenses, at a price of course, to install Act 6.0 on 9 other machines.  It's not realistic for a business unit to invest $20,000 in new hardware to accomodate a $2000 application. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Matt,

In regards to ACT! 6.0 licenses, you may be able to purchase them from an ACT! Certified Consultant. Click this link to find an ACC in your area. You may also wish to post an inquiry to the ACT! version 6.x & Prior board in this forum as it is often visited by ACCs who support the earlier versions of ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.