Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

Matt,

While I have an unused  5 user licence and a one user licence of ACT! 6.0 and disk you can purchase. My advice is to stick with ACT! 2010. Compatibility with Operating System, Office versions and Windows Explorer is limited under ACT! 6.0.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Just purchased 10 licenses of Act 2010 for my unit, but so far unacceptably slow and problematic compared to Act 6.0

"It's not realistic for a business unit to invest $20,000 in new hardware..."

Matt, you wouldn't need to spend that much to have a great setup for 10 users of Act! 2010.  Of course it wouldn't be free, either, but a "business unit" as you describe it would likely have in its budget a line item for computer replacement every few years.  

Here is how you can get 10 great stations for $3,890 total. And there are many other options at about the same price. Add a dedicated small server, network hardware (if needed), plus the labor to transfer files and applications, and you still wouldn't spend half of that amount.

Of course, for 9 seats of v6 you'd spend much less (1k?), while also extending the free ride you are getting from your already depreciated hardware... Yes, v6 is old, outdated, even dangerous (IE6?!) - but it keeps your money in the bank. 

While 2010/11 in time will likely pay for itself and the hardware it requires, by allowing you to track opportunities better and close more sales.

So at the end of the day it's whatever makes sense to you in your situation. 

Good luck.