Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issues Installing ACT 2010 on new Windows 7 PC

Issues Installing ACT 2010 on new Windows 7 PC

Greetings everyone:

I am new to the Community, but had previously used ACT prior to SQL.

I just installed ACT 2010 Trial version on a newer Windows 7 64-bit HP PC and I am experiencing SQL issues.  The initial message was "The SQL Server Service Failed to Start." 

After several failed attempts I came here to the Community looking for answers.  I first installed the Windows Clean-up tool and then removed all traces of SQL on my PC.  Then I tried to reinstall ACT and this time I never got quite as far as SQL appearing to set-up, instead I got a "Error 1603 Fatal Error" right after the installer tried to deploy the SQL database.

I have not tried to uninstall ACT as of yet because technically, it never installed and therefore is not even appearing in Software Programs in the Control Panel.  However, it sounds like removing it might be a good idea and perhaps starting from scratch.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help and suggestions at this point. I have been searching the Community and actually a little overwhelmed at how much information there is here, but pin-pointing specifically what steps I need to follow at stage have elduded me.

Oh, one last thing...I can not find .NET Framework on my PC and do not whether I am not looking (System Serach) in the right place or if its not installed.  I went to the Microsoft Support page and it seems like it keeps advising on .NET Framwork 3.x 

Should I just download this version or search for .NET Framework 2.0?

Thanks for any help in advance.

My PC Specs are as follows:

HP Elite HPE 110f (Running Windows 7 Home Premium)

- AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor 2.8 GHz

- 8 GB RAM

- 64-bit OS

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Issues Installing ACT 2010 on new Windows 7 PC

OK...I followed the steps according to the link that you provided me.  Unfortunately, the setup and install is still hanging up at the exact same location, "Installing Prerequisites" under the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup Supposrt Files an d producing the same message as before.

One thing however, I could not remove the Determining the ACT7 Instance MSSQL.<number> because there was none found when I opened Regedit and scrolled down to where there should have been one

In addition, there were no "Instances Names" when I opened Regedit at all.

There has to be some other issue here. 

Is this happening because I am using a 64-bit PC perhaps?

Thanks again.

I don't think this is solely a 64-bit issue, I am having the same problems on a Dell Latitude D620 running W7 Home Premium x86.

Same problems with SQL server not initializing, not being able to find the registry key, really every issue you are having, so am I.

Platinum Elite Contributor

For what it's worth, I installedACT! 2010 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system that I built without any problems. Companies like HP and Dell typically install a bunch of their own stull and third party trial versions that really clutter up a system.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

For me it is a fresh install of W7, no crapware whatsoever, just the OS and most current drivers/bios
Copper Contributor

The document has been recently updated. This worked for me.

Manually Install SQL Server (ACT7) Instance using 'Network Service' Option.
You may be able to work around this issue by installing the Act7 instance manually and selecting 'Network Service' instead of 'Local Service'. Once the Act7 instance is successfully installed you must open the Windows Services screen (using Windows Start button > select Run or use Search field > enter 'Services.msc') and manually change the properties for 'SQL Server (ACT7)' to 'Local Service' and restart the service. For more information on manually installing the Act7 instance for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express, please refer to the following article:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance
Answer ID: 19386

I have Act 2010, and installed Windows 7, and look at the Website and I thought is said to install an update.  So I did and now I can not recover my database, that I had backup.  But, I still do have the information in Microsoft Oultook.  I call technical support and the said to download another version which I did,  The gentleman did something to my computer, when he took control and said, to call back and gave me a case number.  I have tried to callback, and all I have done is wait on the phone for 4 hours.  Now all I want to do is to uninstall Act 2010 from my computer.  I and not do anything with it but I know that parts of act are still in my computer.  Can any one help me get Act 2010 uninstalled. 

I am an Insurance Agent, not a computer guru.

Thanks,

Tom Blanchard