Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue with Opening Database From External Hard Drive

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Issue with Opening Database From External Hard Drive

[ Edited ]

Hi I recently had to perform a full restore my computer and am trying to open my database which I saved on my external hard drive and it gives my the error message:  This database is not shared.  To access layouts, templates, and attachments associated with database, it must be shared.  Please contact the administrator for more information.

Please help as this is vital information. I am using Act 2010.

Thanks for your help,

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Issue with Opening Database From External Hard Drive

That's not ideal, but may be OK.

Firstly you need to delete the PAD file because it will be pointing to a location that doesn't exist anymore, given that your computer name may have changed, its been copied into a different location etc.

Once you have deleted the PAD file, you need to open act, ignore any error messages that may pop up as it will have trouble locating the last database and click on open database, change the file type in the dropdown menu from the newly opened window from PAD file to ADF then navigate to the folder where your ACT database is on your C drive and open it via the ADF.  It will run through a verification process.  Hopefully it will all be ok, then it will create you a new PAD file, with the correct details.

Please refer to the KB article for more information in regards to creating your new pad file.

Hope that helps.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Hey there

Firstly, how did you save a copy on your USB hard drive?  Did you simply just copy files and folders to your external hard drive, without detaching the SQL database?

Generally best practice for backing up your database is to create a zipped backup file from within ACT under the file menu.  This file is much safer to move around and you can then restore or restore as, your database from the zip file.  If you want to just move your database and files folder, you must first detach the database from SQL using the ACTDiag tool.

Where is the ACT database now located?  Where are you trying to access it from?

And do you have a recent zip backup file?

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Thanks for the response.  I did copy and paste it to my external hard drive and did not detach the SQL database.  I also did not put it into a zip file.  It is currently saved on the external hard drive and also have copied it back onto my C: drive.  It shows both the PAD and ADF files but will not let me open them.  Is there anything I can do in my situation to resolve this, knowing how I saved them?  Thanks for you help,

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

That's not ideal, but may be OK.

Firstly you need to delete the PAD file because it will be pointing to a location that doesn't exist anymore, given that your computer name may have changed, its been copied into a different location etc.

Once you have deleted the PAD file, you need to open act, ignore any error messages that may pop up as it will have trouble locating the last database and click on open database, change the file type in the dropdown menu from the newly opened window from PAD file to ADF then navigate to the folder where your ACT database is on your C drive and open it via the ADF.  It will run through a verification process.  Hopefully it will all be ok, then it will create you a new PAD file, with the correct details.

Please refer to the KB article for more information in regards to creating your new pad file.

Hope that helps.

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Copper Elite Contributor

PS.  Once you have your database open and operational, please make a back-up, including attachments (check option)!  May I suggest doing this regularly, you can create a backup folder on your USB HDD to keep them on.  

Smiley Happy

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Can you say lifesaver....That worked great! I have access to my database again. Whew!!! I will make sure that I back up my database regulary and correctly.  Thanks for your help!!!

Copper Elite Contributor

No worries.  Glad everything worked out.  And yes, please back-up.  I can never stress this enough! Smiley Happy

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Copper Elite Contributor

You may also like to take a look at this KB Article on Database Maintenance.  Specifically the preventative maintenance section.

Sage ACT Database Maintenance

Cheers.

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au