05-29-2015 02:33 AM
Trying to install ACT17 on a Windows Server 2008R2 and while it is determining the SQL Server status I get the error:
An ACT7 instance of SQL 2000/2005 version has been detected and the connection could not be established. Please uninstall this instance manually and start the installation process again.
As far as I'm aware we have never has ACT installed on network previously, although the machine in question is running SQL Server 2008 R2 & 2012. The KB article on removing the ACT7 instance is not appropriate (as none of the registry records exist nor the ACT instance). Removing SQL Server (even temporarily) on this machine is not an option.
I did also try installing it on a fairly newly rebuilt Windows Server 2012R2 with SQL Server 2012 and hit exactly the same error.
Any suggestions welcome!
05-29-2015 07:26 AM
Try manually installing SQL 2014 as you will then see waht is causing the issue a bit better and then look at the logs if it fails.
You may also be able to look at the sql log files if they have been created in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log\
06-11-2015 03:16 AM
Okay so no I've goit back to trying to use Act! for the first time and when I try to open/create a new database I recieve the following response:
"The "(local)" computer could not be reasched becasue the IP address "" could not be resolved. Verifying the "(local)" computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue. "
I'm RDP'ing onto the computer in question so I know the network is working! Although at no point have I been asked to enter an IP address. I've also been and checked that SQL Server is reporting that its installed correctly, but having to manaully install it to get the previous steps to work make me wonder about permissions not being correct soemwhere along the line.
I have also tried installing it on a second server (that didn't previously have sql server installed) and had to go throug hthe same process for manually installing SQL server and get the same error at this stage.
Any new help is much appreciated!
06-11-2015 08:07 AM
If you did a manual install of the SQL server did you also create and ACT7 instance of the SQL server?
06-12-2015 01:16 AM
Yes - it was one of the steps I went through during the setup.
I'm thinking now its permissions somewhere on the network that is not allowing ACT! to read/write to the database file.
06-12-2015 05:52 AM
When you installed ACT! were you asked for the SQL instance SA password and did you followe the steps for configuring the service to run as system and making sure that SQL browser was started? did you run the SQL2014_XpCmdShell.bat.
You could always try running the SQL2014_XpCmdShell.bat via acommand prompt via the steps headed Act! is already installed: Connecting the SQL Server ACT7 instance to Act! on the KB article http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38099
06-12-2015 08:21 AM
I have ran (and re-ran the command just to make sure I had done it),
Following the instructioons for Act! already installed gave me the following results:
Running this on the account I installed everything using (our system admin account) I get the error:
Unhandled Exception: System.Unauthorized AccessException: Access to the path 'XXXXX' is denied
and then the executable crashes.
I tired doing the same using my personal admin account and it went though with no errors or anything however - when running ACT! it still comes up with the same error when trying to open the demo database. I am just going to reinstall (again) SQL Server Express 2014 using my admin account and see if it changes anything.
06-12-2015 08:26 AM
I would un-install ACT!, un-install SQL reboot the machine, make sure who you logon to the machine as is a local administrator, install SQL then ACT! if installing it separately.
06-19-2015 02:32 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions - there were still permission issues following the manual install (Every step was carefully followed). Eventualy managed to get a support call which ended with them running a script that rebuilt permissions and it was fixed!