Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue syncing contacts between Outlook and Sage ACT! Pro 2013

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Issue syncing contacts between Outlook and Sage ACT! Pro 2013

Hi everybody, I'm using a trial version of Sage ACT! Pro 2013 and I am unable to sync contacts with Outlook 2013.

The issue is an exception thrown when calling a function in mscorelib.

I tried the examples given in the Knowledge Base and I tried re-installing the software once, with no success.

I am successfully using the same trial version on two other PCs in the team and we're seriously considering buying some licenses, but we need to overcome this problem.

Any help would be strongly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author albergante
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Issue syncing contacts between Outlook and Sage ACT! Pro 2013

Hi Greg, many thanks again.

I sorted the issue by exploiting (what I consider to be) one limitation of Act: the synchronization of only the top contact folder, and no synchronization of sub-folders.

I copied all the contacts in a sub-folder, re-copied them back to the top one by chunks and synchronized with ACT at each step.

This way I was able to detect some duplicate contacts which, I believe, were the main cause for the inability to synchronize ACT.

Now the system works as a charm.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Platinum Elite Contributor

Also, why do you need to sync the contacts? Much better to just have Outlook use the ACT! database as an address book
Copper Contributor

my apologies, I meant outlook 2010.
Also, I want to share the contacts between the two software because we have a large database of clients in outlook.
if we can't import it into sage there's no reason for us to buy this solution..
Copper Contributor

Here's the call stack of the thrown exception.

SageActIssue.PNG

Copper Contributor

Further update.

Tried again on a fresh Windows 7 Install`+ MS Office 2010 (profile configured with MS Exchange).

No luck, I've seen there were issues in the sync with Distribution lists in the 2010 version but I thought everything was solved.

Still, too bad: with no fix, this software is pretty much impossible to install / not worth the price.

Platinum Super Contributor

Some basic troubleshooting steps:
- Attempt to sync Outlook with a different Sage ACT! database (create a new database and add a few contacts)
- Attempt to sync with different Outlook profile
- Disable UAC
- You mention it works on 2 other computers - what is different about this computer? Anti-virus... other...
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply Greg.

>> You mention it works on 2 other computers - what is different about this computer? Anti-virus... other...

All three computers are identical: Outlook configured with an Exchange profile, Win7 + Office 2010.

Issue is: the two computers that work have a somewhat trivial Outlook database: some messages, some contacts with no distribution list.

The computer that fails is from a colleague with many years in the field and therefore he has many more contacts, many distribution lists.

Most importantly he has linked his tasks to some users, and it might be that some of those are no longer in the contact list.

This, however, should not be a problem: on one of the working PCs I did the following.

Create a user in Outlook in a distribution list, link that user to a particular task.

Delete the user (but keeping the missing link).

Create a new database in ACT.

Sync ACT and Outlook.

No problem.

>> Attempt to sync Outlook with a different Sage ACT! database (create a new database and add a few contacts)

I tried this with no success.

>> Disable UAC

No luck on this either.

>> Attempt to sync with different Outlook profile.

This works, albeit with little joy: the profile is empty and there is not much to sync. Once I revert back to the previous profile it still fails.

Platinum Super Contributor

Unfortunately this indicates there is an issue with the particular Outlook PST (profile). 

You can try running Microsoft's Scanpst.exe to see if it can resolve the issue.  I recommend creating a copy of the PST as a backup before running the scan utiltity.  Here is a Microsoft article describing the location of the Scanpst utility: Microsoft Article Link

Note: Sage does not support this Microsoft utility.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg, Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Both trying fixing PST and OST was unsuccessfull, any other ideas?

The exception is rather clear in the image I posted.