Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticably" faster??

Copper Contributor

Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticably" faster??

I've seen references to the Diskeeper program causing occasional problems with ACT! Users trying to do a synch -- not good. But, for those of us with older computers having sub-7200 RPM disk drives, does anyone have a sense of whether ACT! might run noticeably faster after having had the diskdrive "optimized" by Diskeeper?

After reading a lot of threads debating the speed issue, I upgraded from ACT!2004 to ACT!2010 and have been pleasantly surprised to find that the speed on my 5 year-old laptop is adequate...not blazing, mind you, and not as fast as ACT!2004, but sufficient to keep the upgrade. Nevertheless, if I could squeeze out a little more speed, it would be helpful.

Diskeeper claims to improve read/write speed, disk access speeds, etc. -- is this just hype? Any thoughts? Could it cause conflicts or more trouble than it's worth?

Copper Contributor

Re: Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticably" faster??

[ Edited ]

I haven't used Diskeeper in over a decade so I cannot opinate on it, but allow me to offer an affordable suggestion that will give blazing speed to all your applications:

****  replace your hard drive with a SSD model **** 

That will give your computer a new lease on life, and is by far the best upgrade I've found for a computer since I've started assembling them in the late 80s. Great bang for the buck, and programs like Act! benefit the most. My copy opens in the blink of an eye (well, almost). 

I've become so addicted to its speed that I've replaced all my HDs for SSDs.   Here is my favorite at the moment, from my favorite retailer. If you have two bays in your computer, keep your old disk for storage and for rarely used and bulky applications, then install your OS and Act! on this small SSD, making it the boot disk

And see your productivity soar!

Message Edited by Master on 03-30-2010 08:27 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticably" faster??

If your system is a desktop machine, I would suggest that you replace your hard drive rather than buy a program like diskkeeper. I just built a new desktop system and the hard drive I installed is a 7200 RPM 1-terabyte drive with a 32 MB cache and the cost was $85, just over twice the cost of a home copy of diskeeper and you will definitely get a good performance boost.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response, Master and Roy. Unfortunately, I do have a laptop, so diskdrive replacement is a bit more pricey than for desktop systems (if it worked, I could get Diskeeper for $19.00.). Also, as the computer is over 5 years old, I think my next hardware investment will be to get a whole new system in a year or so (assuming nothing blows up in the meantime...). But, I'll certainly consider your solutions as they do seem like viable options. Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Diskeeper. 

Just run disk cleanup once ever 2 weeks or so and then do a defrag with the built in windows utility.  That'll do virtually the same job - and there won't be another process running all the time.

You might also consider getting an antivirus solution that's light on resources - like Panda's free cloud based software.

Really, though, there's no substitute for a faster hard drive, lots of memory and a good dual core processor.

Copper Contributor

Hi, WillardV. I've been doing regular Disk Cleanup and Defrag, and I recently added memory to max out my laptop at 2GB. With the 5 year-old processor and the slower hard drive, it's probably surprising that I'm getting the decent speed that I've noted.  As I don't think it makes sense to invest much more in upgrades to the current system, I'm probably getting all that I can out of the current hardware. I hope to get a new laptop in a year or so, which should show substantial speed improvements (I'll definitely be looking for a laptop with a processor, harddrive, etc. that will Improve ACT!'s performance.

I'll look into Panda's cloud anti-virus solution, too, as I imagine that my current program, Kaspersky Internet Security, is a resource hog. Thanks for your comments!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticeably" faster??

Hello Fitman,

I´ve being using Diskeeper for a long time. Version 2009 runs in background so silent that I sometimes forget it is there.

I can not tell about if it wasn´t there but I do recommend.

Solid State Disk is also a good option but I think that sooner or later any disk will become fragmented so Diskeeper would help anyway.

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE
Copper Contributor

Re: Is there any likelihood that Diskeeper could help ACT!2010 run "noticeably" faster??

Fitman:  As stated above, your hardware IS the speed limit, and as with the memory, the HD needs to be upgraded. Even if you plan on a laptop replacement later, you should consider a SSD disk now .  The reason is that their expected lifetime is over 10 years, so you could easily remove it from your current laptop and install it in the new one (when you buy it), and still get many years of high performance from the device. 

As for difficulty, the model I mentioned in the link above is specifically designed for laptops, so it should be quite easy to install in yours.  There is typically direct access to the HD bay(s) through a hatch at the bottom of the laptop (as with the memory), so the hardware installation part is easy.  Installing the OS takes longer in my experience, if you want a fresh install - always my choice.

BTW, for those considering a SSD, the best choice today is the new Intel 80GB, for its speed and storage capacity. It's even faster than the one I linked to above, and has twice the space. This is the one I use myself. However it does cost an extra $100 and that places it way above the typical price for a quality HD. For me that was not an issue - as a professional who sits at the computer many hours a day to scratch a living, I see this as a work tool that allows me to make more money, so in my case the extra speed paid for itself quickly.

Jorge: Never use defrag on a SSD (either from the OS or a program like Diskeeper), since there are no disk platters and the defrag process will reduce its life. Intel has a utility called TRIM that is free to download and keeps its SSD always as fast as new.  But that is only needed if you use XP or Vista, because Win 7 already has native support for SSDs and does the job automatically.  If you do install XP or Vista on a SSD, then it's very important to stop the automatic defrag features and instead run TRIM every week or month.  (Depois a gente se fala mais)

Copper Elite Contributor

Thank you Master,

Good to know about defrag on SSD.

By the way are you planning a portuguese version for this forum ? Smiley Happy

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE
Copper Contributor

Hi, Jorge -- Thanks for your additional thoughts. I'm interested in considering all approaches...

Master --  You make a persuasive case. I've checked the link you provided and notice that the User Reviews are very positive. I have a single 80 GB harddrive (~55 GB used) at the moment -- if I'm hearing you correctly, I'd have to replace this one with the SSD (as I only have one drive bay; I do have an 80 GB USB external drive for backups). If so, for the space needs alone, I guess I'd need the 80 GB version. This could be a dumb question, but is there a way to keep the mechanical drive and run the SDD externally (perhaps not this one, but another designed for this purpose)? I guess that most desktop computers have two drive bays which offers a tidy solution...

Also, I have a "generic" laptop that a computer consultant built for me (a "Compal CL56-15"). Are you saying that disk drives have a uniform size/shape in that the new Intel SDDs would undoubtedly fit correctly in my drive bay? I guess I'm still a bit reticent to invest what could become several hundred dollars on an older laptop like this one, but maybe I "buy" several more years of operation (and the drive could be migrated to a new machine...)?