Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there a way to delete empty companies?

Is there a way to delete empty companies?

We recently deleted 40k contacts from our ACT! database. Now, we have MANY empty companies (no contact linked to it) and we would like to remove them. Is there a way (or an addon) where this can be done all at once?

Any help appreciated.

Harlee

Bronze Contributor

Re: Is there a way to delete empty companies?

Hi harlee_m.

From my interpretation of what you wrote, from the contact detail view I would do a lookup of all contacts with no contacts and company exists. 

ACT Response.jpg

Now I am assuming you are confident that you have deleted the contacts from companies and in fact the companies do not have any contacts.  PLEASE do a backup before doing this.

After you do this lookup, you cn then delete every company that meets the criteria.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thank you John! That sounds like what I need to do, but I don't quite understand the first search line you used (all contacts with no contacts) and I can't clearly see the attached image.

Could you please type out the search criteria, or attach a picture at a higher resolution? I would appreciate this greatly!!!

I think the second line was a search for Company field contains data (?)

I would appreciate any additional help. I predict I have about 6000 companies without contacts attached.

John,

Can you write out the query to find all companies that contain no contacts?  I want to delete all the empty companies.

Wendell

Bronze Contributor

Well, I guess I must have been thinking of a different solution.

I know you have a lot of entries, but with what comes with the program, I guess I would do a lookup of all companies and sort by company.

Then scroll down and look for companies without a contact next to it. 

Every other formulae that I tried didn't address a company that exists and has both contacts names with and without data.

Again, make sure you do a backup before you try anything.

Hey ACT gurus, what am I missing?  Is there a way?

The logic woud be:

Companies with data in the name field AND no contact with data in the name field. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

The best solution would be to make the Contact count that displays in the bottom of the company detail view searchable. I would like to be able to deleted all Companies that have no contacts or have only 1 contact.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a free add-on for this called ContactLess Companies.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms