Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there a way to create multiple dummy records quickly?

Accepted Solution Solved
Mo
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to create multiple dummy records quickly?

What I am trying to do is to test outlook's ability/inabilty to send 60-70 Act merged emails to myself after -- much to my dismay -- I found many sitting in my draft folder last month. Creating 60-70 test copies one-by-one is a pain. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?  Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Mo
Copper Contributor

Re: Is there a way to create multiple dummy records quickly?

You are absolutely terrific MrWright! 

I think you are definitely on to something with the normal.dot file as I recall seeing an error message in Word recently.  Your knowledge is remarkable and your solution greatly appreciated!  Have a wonderful holiday season.  Mo

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Mo,

You could create dummy records in Excel by setting up in the following manner:

"first name" "last name" "e-mail address" etc...

Then, you could simply add a changing number to the "last name", like "Wright001", "Wright002" etc and let Excel change them automatically.  Save the file as a *.csv and import it into Act!

However, you may also have something else wrong with your system.  Please specifiy your version of Word and Act!.

MrWright

Mo
Copper Contributor

Thanks MrWright...brilliant!

Here is a link regarding the subject that I initiated recently:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=17588&query.id=7223#M17588

Copper Elite Contributor

Mo,

Whenever I have problems with Mail Merge I do the following:

1. Perform database maintenance on the Act! database

a. Tools | Database Maintenance | Check and Repair

2. Locate the file ScanPST.exe and run it, it will ask you for the location of your Outlook *.pst file.  The program will then scan the file for erros, and if necessary, correct them.  Before it does, it will ask you for the location to place a backup file.

3. Make sure you have all the updates necessary for Act!.  I realize you are uncomfortable about v10.03, but it does correct a lot of other problems.

4. Make sure your Word Template is not corrupt.  I have found that when they do corrupt, they act normal, but fail.  Try creating a simple template and sending to your dummy records and see how it responds.

5. Finally, if all else fails, you could have a corrupted Normal.dot file.  Making sure all office products are closed, locate the file and delete it.  When you open Word next it will re-create the original Normal.dot file.

See if that helps.

MrWright

Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Mo
Copper Contributor

You are absolutely terrific MrWright! 

I think you are definitely on to something with the normal.dot file as I recall seeing an error message in Word recently.  Your knowledge is remarkable and your solution greatly appreciated!  Have a wonderful holiday season.  Mo

You're welcome.
Mo
Copper Contributor

Follow-up MrWright,

After creating 51 duplicate records using excel which worked flawlessly by the way, I discovered something. Seems that all of my past emails, the ones I agonized about as having not been sent for the holiday, did in fact get sent! I made that assumption because they were sitting in the draft folder and because after checking the sent folder, there was no record of them ever going out. In my test, I received all 51 without an issue but still see copies sitting in the draft folder as if it was a delivery "receipt". The sent folder still does not show them as having been sent. The important thing however, is that I can ignore those two folders and now know that at least with 51 mailings, there is no issue. I'll try 100+.  Many thanks. Mo