Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there a way to add several fields together for a Total in a Report

Astute Commentator

Is there a way to add several fields together for a Total in a Report

Does Act have the ability to take several fields (obviously numbers) and add them together for a total as a result in a Report. I know I could do it in excel and import, but for what I am doing this seems rather cumbersome. I am buying and selling houses and I want to create a report with my costs so I can better keep track of how much I have into each house. I am not talking about anything too complex like what a contractor does but something simple with just a few costs like Purchase price, carry, Tax, Marketing, etc and then a total so I can look at a report with many houses on the report and quickly see what my absolute lowest selling price would be.

Thanks

Alan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is there a way to add several fields together for a Total in a Report

You would do that in an ACT! report with a Visual Basic script program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Ok, I am somewhat familiar with Visual Basic as I have done some programming, but it has been several years now and I am rusty at best.

I did look in the help index to see if I could find some help. Looked under "Visual Basic" nothing there. Looked under reports and the only thing I found under reports was:

Reports > Using Scripts:

Working with Report Scripts

You can use VB Script Language properties to change how reports are formatted for printing, how empty report sections are handled, and so on.

Nothing more! That is about the most useless information possible!

I am going to need some help here as I have really no idea of where to start. Can you either help me by showing me an example or point me to something that gives an example so I can at least have something to start from? This can't be all that difficult. All I am looking to do is add Fielda + Fieldb + Fieldc = Total and put the total in the report. Example Fielda = $78,500, Fieldb = $2,500, & Fieldc = $5,000. Adding them all up Total to show up in the report = $86,000

Alan

Astute Commentator

After doiing some digging I came across an add on that I think is going to be the ticket that I am looking for. It looks like you can do just about anything you can do in excel with Abacus Calculated Fields for Act. Maybe there are others as well, but I downloaded the trial version and it looks pretty good for $69.

If anyone knows of something similar for cheaper or free, let me know otherwise I will probably buy this one once the trial ver ends. In the mean time, this seems like a whole lot easier solution than trying to figure out some visual basic scripting. If I am wrong about that last statement, please let me know and show me...........

Thanks,

Alan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Here's a link to more comprehensive  information on the ACT! reports.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129