Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is the ACT! Backup zip file all that is needed to completely restore a database?

Copper Contributor

Is the ACT! Backup zip file all that is needed to completely restore a database?

If I need to restore my ACT! program database due to a catastrophe (such as theft or fire that destroys my computer) after I reinstall the ACT! program once again do I ONLY need the backup zip file to completely restore that database?

I see that there are two other files (.ALF and .ADF) that appear connected to my database.  Do I need to back these files up as well to restore my database or is only the backup zip file needed?

This is important because I am having some trouble backing those two other files up through my online backup service.  But I am having no problem at all with backing up the zip file.

Just wanting to be certain BEFORE anything that might go wrong.

Thank you!

Copper Contributor

Re: Is the ACT! Backup zip file all that is needed to completely restore a database?

I forgot to include my program information:

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, Hot Fix 7

Windows 7

Thank you.

Silver Contributor

Re: Is the ACT! Backup zip file all that is needed to completely restore a database?

a proper aCT Backup will contain the database and all of the supplemental files. Everything except the program it self. The Alf (log file) and the adf (database file) are both included in the .zip backup file.

The reason you are having backing up the alf and the adf is because sql is running on your computer and the SQL program has those two files locket. IT is redundant to try and copy those too if you have a healthy .zip file, but if you want to you can detatch the ACT database via ActDiag (start, run, ACT diag), or you can stop the sql services by going to start, run, services.msc and looking for ACT7 instance of ms sql.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thank you, Jon.

It's good to know that the zip Backup file has all that is required apart from the program itself to completely restore my database!

Thank you again!