Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is my ACT database stored on my computer?

Is my ACT database stored on my computer?

When I try to open ACT 2007, I am receiving an error message "Failed to open a connection to the database". I have tried reinstalling SQL from the installation disk, and the problem persists.  If I run services.msc and try to open SQL server (ACT 7), I receive an error message "service-specific error code 3417". In reading up on that thread, it seems the solution is to uninstall, then reinstall ACT.

However (mea culpa), I have not backed-up ACT on a flashdrive for over a year. Instead, I have relied on syncing to my Palm Tungsten. This is not a complete back-up, as Completed Activities don't sync, and only a limited number of notes. Is my ACT database saved on my computer in a file I can save before uninstalling ACT? My hope is that I will be able to reinstall ACT and then import the saved data file . . . if there is one.

I am a single user of ACT 2007, which is installed on one computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is my ACT database stored on my computer?

[ Edited ]

Uninstalling/reinstalling ACT! won't remove the database and you should be able to open it after the reinstall.

Make sure you backup in future in case something else (like a computer crash) damages it. You cannot restore from the PDA

Message Edited by GLComputing on 11-01-2008 02:27 AM

Thank you, Mike. I very much appreciate your reply. I followed your advice the same day it was posted and uninstalled/reinstalled ACT!. Unfortunately, after all that, the problem appears to be that the database file itself is corrupted. ACT! reinstalled fine, and I can open the demo database, but when I try to open my database, the error message reads (in part):

"SQL server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: torn page. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check DBCC CHECKDB . This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online."

I found SQL Server Books Online, but can't make heads or tails out of it; more importantly, neither can my husband, a software engineer (thanks, Microsoft) and DBCC CHECKDB does not seem to be recognized by the computer. It's so frustrating, because I closed the program normally one night, and the next morning the database would not open. Everything else on the computer seems to be working fine. That being said, this is why I should have been backing up the database file (lesson relearned).

I think the underlying problem is relying on SQL as the underlying base for ACT! - the ACT! program ran much faster and was less buggy before it was revised for Vista (thanks again, Microsoft).

I've used ACT! for 10 years, and it was a major reason I stayed tied to a PC platform. At this point, I have spent at least 20 hours trying to fix this problem. Since it appears that my files are permenently unavailable to me, I went out and bought a MacBook; I am currently evaluating free trial versions of Daylite and Now Up-to-Date to see if they will meet my needs. Luckily, my (truncated) Palm Tungsten files did transfer to the Palm Mac datebook and address book.

If anyone has an idea of how to fix my database file, I'd be very greatful. The longer I spend on the Mac platform, the less likely it is I will want to spend the time to merge new contact and calendar info with old ACT! data.

Thank you! 

When I run actdiag and open databases, I see the screenshot exactly as shown in the screenshot in the link you referenced, with "ACT9Demo" at the top. However, shouldn't I be running the repairs on my personal database? That does not show in the list, although it does show as a .pad file when I open ACT! in demo mode and click the file, open database menu. [I can select it to open, but then I get the error message].

That list will only show databases on your computer. The PAD file is not the database, it's just a pointer to it.

Open the PAD file in NotePad, and you'll see the machine where the database is and the folder on that machine