Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it time to withdraw ACT2010 from the market?

Tuned Listener

Is it time to withdraw ACT2010 from the market?

I wonder if ACT2010 should not be withdrawn from the market or at least only marketed and sold with a strong health warning as only suitable for corporate users or those already in possession of a compatible copy of Outlook (unless you're happy to use IM which doesn't meet our requirements here)?

We've purchased a couple of copies of ACT2010 but find that we can't actually use it because (at least in the UK) Outlook 2007 seems to have become unobtainable. I've just spent a couple of hours this morning trawling the web and phoning around trying to locate copies of Outlook 2007, but wherever it seems that it might be available online, further investigation reveals that the relevant web page is out of date and no supplier seems to be able to get hold of copies.

(Corporate users are a bit different it seems because if you can buy in to MS corporate licensing and order a minimum of 5 licences then you can downgrade from Outlook2010 to Outlook 2007.)

So it looks very much like we've totally wasted our spend on ACT2010 - other potential buyers beware!

Silver Contributor

Re: Is it time to withdraw ACT2010 from the market?

Amazon.com sells Office2007

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Yes but Office 2007 is around 4x the cost of Outlook 2007. Why would a small business use MS Office when Open Office is available for free and does pretty much everything MS Office does? Buying two copies of Office 2007 would cost me pretty much a week's remuneration, ie a very significant amount for a small business. Unfortunately there's no free/low-cost alternative to Outlook that can be used with ACT, so we're stuffed (to use  technical term).

Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

No shareable mailboxes with recent ACT versions (which we're currently using perfectly happily with ACT6).

Edit: This is really the nub of our frustration with ACT. We've got a solution based on ACT6 that certainly has some niggles, but which basically supports our sales activities fine, allowing two desks to share the load of responding to emails etc with around 5000 contacts in the ACT database. And I'm perfectly happy to agree that an SQL-based database gives more robustness etc and I don't expect to live in the past forever. But given that ACT6 won't easily run under Vista/7 we're being effectively forced to upgrade anyway but then I discover that there's just no cost-effective upgrade path available at present!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Outlook won't give you shared mailboxes unless you also invest in an Exchange server
Tuned Listener

Correct (I believe - I'm not expert!) but there seem to be inexpensive solutions available that would allow shared Outlook mailboxes such as:

http://www.codetwo.com/public-folders/

So there seem to be options short of going to a full-blown Exchange solution. (Another option would be hosted Exchange mailboxes, which it seems you can get in shareable form and not too costly - plus this would typically be a revenue spend and not capital.)

I appreciate that this must all seem fairly small beer for anyone working in a larger company, but for those of us in the microbusiness world we really do have to watch every pound/dollar/Euro etc.

Maybe what I should be looking at is continuing to run ACT 6 under XP compatibility mode in Win 7 - anyone know if this might work?

It works for some, not for others... can be unreliable.

Maybe you should post to the Ideas Exchange on this forum an idea for a shared email system... after all, the email system is now SQL

Tuned Listener

Yes I'll look at that and many thanks anyway for the replies.

But it really does highlight the urgency for some news about whether there will be an ACT 2010 update to provide compatibility with Outlook 2010. If the answer's going to be no (which hopefully it won't be) then at least it might save other users in the same position as us from the waste of money and frustration that ACT 2010 has proved thus far. For Sage to continue promoting and selling ACT 2010 in the full knowledge that it's not compatible with the only version of Outlook readily available now (ie Outlook 2010) is IMO getting dangerously close to dubious commercial practice.