Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to move a database from one computer to another without using the backup/restore feature?

Highlighted

Is it possible to move a database from one computer to another without using the backup/restore feature?

[ Edited ]

Act! Pro Version: 18.0.501.0

Due to some problems booting Windows 10 I've had to move everything onto a new computer, and I've installed Act on the new computer already but I don't have a backup .zip file to restore from. I can still access the files on the old computer's hard drive by booting from the DVD drive, however I can't launch Act when I boot from the DVD drive and thus have no way to create a backup of the database.

I could possibly reinstall Windows 10 on the old machine to get it to boot again, but I'm hesitant to do this without having any available backups of the database I'm trying to salvage and I'm not even sure which files I'd need to save or where they're located, or if I can even use them if I were to just copy/paste them over rather than restoring from a .zip file.

Since I can still access the files on the old drive, is there a folder somewhere where Act stores this information that I could copy and paste in the same directory on the new computer that would be more or less functionally equivalent to restoring from a backup (or if not, any other way to salvage the database without being able to create a backup to restore from)?

Thanks