Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to import fields into a record that has already been created?

Astute Commentator

Is it possible to import fields into a record that has already been created?

Lets say I have records with many (200+ fields) that I would like to import. Unfortunately not all of the fields are in the same place. Some come from one source and others come from another. I have the the first part imported and it works great. Only thing is that now I have 50 or so of the fields filled in and the other 150 come from a different source. Even if I had to import 1 contact at a time it would save me a lot of time. I can easily identify which record the info should go into as there is 1 or more fields that are unique and are in both sources.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to import fields into a record that has already been created?

Yes, you can import and update existing records.  The key is that it will not overwrite existing data, unless you use the Replace option - but then it replaces the complete record and you may not want that. 

To update the empty fields you will use the 'Merge' option.  After setting your Duplicate Checking so that it will locate the desired contact record, the import will then add the new information into the blank fields.

I recommend testing the process with a single import record so that you can see how it will be updated.  Also, make a backup of your database before importing complete files.

Greg Martin
Sage