Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to edit and update same database on several computers?

Is it possible to edit and update same database on several computers?

Hey guys,

I am wondering if it possible to edit and update same database on several computers? Meaning, the small company I am currently interning for has a total of 4 work computers, 3 laptops for each employee and 1 desktop in the office. We currently have ACT PRO 2012 installed on one lap top and are interested in getting ACT installed on the three other computers as well, the 2 other laptops and 1 desktop.

Before doing this, we want to check and see if it is possible for all 4 computers to edit and update the same database (so when 1 employee edits or updates the database on their laptop, the edits and updates are also completed on the other computers) and if it is possible, I am wondering how difficult or easy it is to have this setup.

I called SAGE to ask about this topic but since we had purchased ACT PRO 2012 on January 13th, the 30 days of free technical support was up and we would rather not pay an additional charge to find out if it is possible or not. If it is possible, we are willing to pay the additional charge if the process for setting it up is more than we can handle.

Thanks for your help guys, I realy appreciate it!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is it possible to edit and update same database on several computers?

Based on the information you provided it doesn't sound like you could directly share the database and you would need to use synchronization to keep all the computers updated. Synchronization isn'r hard to set up but you may want to enlist and ACT! certified consultant to help with the setup. You also indicated that you would have at least three or possibly four name users so you would need to purchase additional licenses so that you have a license for each named user.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply. Synchronization sounds exactly like what we need. Could you possibly share a little more info about the process of setting it up?

And yes, we are planning on purchasing the additional licenses for the additional computers. So a total of four licenses for all four computers.

Thanks again for your help!! It is much appreciated.

[edit: typo in 'help']

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with instructions for creating 'remote' databases: KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for that very helpful article!!!

I have gotten through most of the steps, set up the sync set and am currently working on the remote server set up when I hit a snag with the SELECT A SYNC SERVER CONNECTION step. In the article it says there should be two options for a connection type, NETWORK and INTERNET but I am only seeing the NETWORK option.

The users that are going to be logging into this remote server are in multiple locations so I assume that I need to use the INTERNET option but am not able to select that option.

Any idea or suggestions of how I can make the INTERNET option avaiable to me for the connection type??

Background info: it is ACT Pro 2012 running on a Dell laptop with Windows Vista Home Edition. Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Since you are running the Pro version, 'Internet' will not be an option.  To sync across the internet, you'll have Network selected - but then update the remote database with the IP address for your server.  The following article has instructions for setting up a specific program (Sage ACT! Network Sync Service) to use the internet/IP method - you'll use the steps to update the remote database (installing Network Sync Service is not an option with Pro): KB Article 17536

Note: With Pro, the Publisher (main) database must be open to accept the incoming sync.

If there is a network connection between the sites, you won't have to use the IP address.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

If "home office" does not have a static public IP address, you will need either some kind of VPN service like Hamachi or a dynamic DNS service so the remotes will always be able to "find" the home office location on the internet.

If you are not using Hamachi (or similar) you will likely also need to configure the office firewall/router to deal with the inbound connection.