Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to edit a previously saved email?

Is it possible to edit a previously saved email?

I am considering the purchase of Act.  Have downloaded 2013 trial version.  In playing with the product, I found that in record number 198,, for a certain Ethan Campbell, contained an email from 2008.   I was able to open the email, edit it, and resave it while the record for the Sent email still shows the date of 2008.  Is it really possible to open and edit the contents of a previously sent email?

If so,  where is the integrity of the email record?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to edit a previously saved email?

Hello Apeace,

Within the Sage ACT! preferences Admin tab (Tools > Preferences...), there is an option to allow editing of history items.  By default this is set to allow, disabling this option will prevent History from being edited.  There is also an option for editing Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for the quick reply.  I find it inconcieveable that there is even the option to edit an email once it has been sent.  That would be like editing your copy of a letter you've already mailed.   With email records now  a legal part of business and personal communication, opposing counsel will call into question the validity of your email records if it is even possible to enable editing.  I am trying to move away from goldmine (still using 5.5 on an XP machine) but this is a problem as I see it.  In goldmine, once you click SEND, you will never again edit that email.  I don't understand this.

Respectfully.

Hi, again I am wanting to make sure I am not overlooking something.  I am talking about the ability to open up the contents of a previously sent email and change the wording of the contents of that email.   You can't do it in Gmail or in any other email program that I have ever used.   Surely this is not possible in the ACT email client.  I need clarification on this please.

Thank you,

Platinum Super Contributor

The ability to edit history items is controlled by the "Allow history editing" option.

If enabled, you can edit any history item. If disabled, you cannot edit history items.
Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

It's important to be aware that an email sent from Outlook can be edited without changing the sent date and time!

At least with ACT! you can disable the editing.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Re: Is it possible to edit a previously SENT email?

I don't know about older versions of Outlook,, but I called Microsoft pre-sales support and was told that both in Outlook 2013, or Microsoft Dynamic CRM,  you cannot change the content of a previously sent email.. the only option offered, under certain circumstances, is to recall an email that the recipient hasn't yet opened.

I fear something is being lost in translation here.   Maybe I am not expressing myself clearly or perhaps not phrasing the question accurately.   Maybe someone can help me understand this.  Why would a person WANT to change the wording of a previously SENT email?  What possible benefit could there be in doing this?  If you did change the wording,  it doesnt change what the recipient received originally.  If you changed the wording,, how would you know what you originally sent?  Excuse me, and help me understand this, but this is the most foolish feature I can imagine.  Even to allow it as an option undermines the creditability of your communication record.

Bronze Contributor

In following this thread, I'm finding it very interesting as well.  So, I did a small test this morning.

I am running ACT 2013 with Outlook & Exchange.

I clicked on an eMail history record in a contact that also had the link hyperlinked to the outlook copy saved in attachments.

I was able to change the information that shows in the ACT window of the eMail but I was not able to change the content of the Outlook copy that is in Attachments.

I then opened the attachment directly and could not make or save any changes to the outlook eMail.

I then saved the Outlook attachment with a new name and again was not able to make any changes.

I don't know if that helps or not.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

thanks for the input..  I have a question related to your comment.  Why would you use Outlook at all if you use ACT as a contact manager?  It seems to be redundant..  but there may be other considerations.  I was hoping to simplify things by using only 1 contact management system,, but I can't get my head around this issue of email record validity.    I also have an issue with Goldmine (at least ver5.5) in that you can go back and edit the contents of a "note" in the contact record.   This "flaw" makes the notes totally without weight if any future questions arise as to what was said, done, or promised.  However, at least in GM the communication record of SENT email is inviolable.  No one can ever call into question whether or not it was possible that you changed the email communication to the other party.     My Errors and Ommissions Insurance carrier has raised this very question in their application for insurance.  They want to be certain that the records I keep on client communication cannot be challenged in court should a problem arise.  I had a situation come up several years ago.  I wrote to a customer that his son "can NOT" drive the family car.  The kid did anyway and had an accident.  The dad took the position that I told the family the son "CAN" drive the car.  He was willing to lie and admitted as much.  Fortunately,  his legal counsel could not attack the validity of my email record.  The guy lost.   However, if they could have called into question whether or not I might have gone back in and added the word "NOT" to the email text,  I would have been toast.

This sort of situation is why I am stuck on this issue.  Don't mean to be a pest about it.

In researching this issue yesterday,  I was suprised to learn of products designed to let you changed an email you've already sent, even changing the copy on the recipients computer even after they have opened and read it.  It's called Dynamic Email Content,, offered by ChiaraMail.  I think it is patently dishonest, however there seems to be a lot of interest in having the ability to re-write history, including email history.

Bronze Contributor

As I ready through your reply, it appears that security and forensic copies of eMail are extremely high on your list, which are two good objectives.  BTW, I left ACT and went to GM up through 6.5, but they have abondoned the single user, so I moved back with ACT 2007.  I know you don't use Outlook but GM 6.5 would not integrate with Outlook without a 3rd party program that I was not able to get to work.

Outlook - it is an industry standard and has a lot of features that have been perfected over the years.  ACT's eMail is a very simple eMail program that hasn't been updated to any degree since ACT integrated with Outlook.  Outlook gives you almost forensic eMails - meaning it would take a 3rd party program to revise a saved eMail, as you pointed out.

Forensic eMail - to achieve 100% forensic copies of eMail will cost dollars.  I sell technology solutions to corporations and this kind of solution costs.  You might want to do a search for "forensic e-mail" and "e-discovery" and see what kind of results you get.  You have to weigh the cost of achieving 100% secure eMail to your risk based on just using Outlook.

Regarding the ability to edit notes, I think that is a good thing.  Frequently I make notes during a meeting and then go back and make better sense and formatting out of them.  As a single user, the ability to set the program to not allow revision to history and notes could ultimately be challenged.  If I were challenging you and I know something about ACT, I could say that you changed rights to edit notes and then changed it back again. 

Remember, this is a contact relationship manager.  I go back to version 1.0 when it was not much more than an electronic rolodex.  It has matured and grown to give you the ability to manage your relationship with your customer.  If you want a single program to do all this and address your concerns, then maybe ACT is the wrong program for you. 

For some of the gurus who frequent this board, maybe they could come up with a way to secure the "attachment" folder for the db.  

I'm sorry if I've rambled, but I think ACT is great for CRM, and if you have additional needs besides what is included, then either it is not the right program or you will have to add software to achieve your special needs.  Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013